20000414: McIDAS-X on FreeBSD

>From: "Tim Loomis" <address@hidden>

Tim,

>Has anyone installed MCIDAS on FreeBSD? I've noticed that most of the
>Linux development for MCIDAS was done in coordination with FreeBSD but
>haven't seen any docs on it being done.

Unidata supports FreeBSD in addition to RedHat Linux for our version of
McIDAS-X.  Comments from our users of these systems have been very
positive.  One of our active FreeBSD users notes that he chose to
use FreeBSD over Linux because of security concerns.  He also notes
that all of the software he is using seems to run remarkably fast
on FreeBSD, prolonging the useful life of his aging PCs by a couple of
years.