20000417: XCD grid decoding problems at UVa (final)

>From: Anthony James Wimmers <address@hidden>
 GRIB.CFG GRIBDEC.CFG HRS.CFG RESOLV.SRV DECINFO

Tony,

Well, I thought that the last email would be the final one on the ETA
decoding debacle, but...

After chatting with Don, and following Don's recommendation, I did the
following for the McIDAS Addendum that I just finished:

SCRATCH=5001
NGM=  3 5051 120000 240000 480000
MRF=  1 5101 120000 240000 960000
MAPS= 0 5201  30000
MDR=  2 5301
AVN=  3 5401 120000 240000 720000
ETA=  1 5501  60000 240000 480000

These RTMODELS.CFG lines:

o leave NGM grids right where they were
o moves ETA GRID files to start at 5501 and extend to 5620

Each ETA run now has its own set of GRID files (0 Z, 6 Z, 12 Z, and 18 Z).
The namespace for the ETA GRID files now uses 120 GRID numbers!

The main reasons for the change were:

o storing ETA grids in files that contain individual model runs mirrors
  what has always been done for other models

o there are only two changes needed in RESOLV.SRV:

N1=RTGRIDS,N2=ALL,TYPE=GRID,RT=Y,K=GRID,R1=5001,R2=5620,C=All XCD Real-Time
Grids,
N1=RTGRIDS,N2=ETA,TYPE=GRID,RT=Y,K=GRID,R1=5501,R2=5620,C=Real-Time ETA Grids,

This setup has been running here at the UPC for six ETA model cycles,
so I am confident that everything is working correctly.

By the way, the information on the Addendum that I will be announcing
tomorrow can be found in:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/addenda_000417.html

Tom