20000421: shared memory on FreeBSD (cont.)

>From: "Tim Loomis" <address@hidden>

Tim,

I got the following information back from a site representative about
rebuilding the OS kernel on FreeBSD to increase shared memory.  I hope
that this helps.

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Apr 24 06:49:33 2000
>From: Ted Wisniewski <address@hidden>
>Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 08:49:27 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: Re: 20000421: how to increase shared memory on FreeBSD systems
>To: address@hidden

  (* I am hoping you can provide a quick answer to the following:
  (*
  (* How does one go about increasing the amount of shared memory available
  (* on a FreeBSD system?

        You need to make sure you have the following Kernel options:

  #These should be there by default
  options         SYSVSHM
  options         SYSVSEM
  options         SYSVMSG

  #This one you have to add
  options         "SHMMAXPGS=131072"

  (* I am under the impression that the OS kernel has to be remade after
  (* a shared memory configuration change has been made, but I may be wrong.
  (* I have another site that is wanting to get going on FreeBSD, and they
  (* need to know the steps involved in setting shared memory.

  I will assume they have a custom kernel config file:

  Add the options above (if they are not in the file).

  In the same directory as the config file do:

     config configfilename
     cd ../../compile/configfilename
     make depend
     make