20000508: GINI to netCDF (cont.)

>From: David Harper <address@hidden>

Dave,

>I seem to have things working, but the script keeps running into problems
>opening the output file.  I tried to get cute by making the visual 0001 and
>the ir 0002.  I do not delete the files, as they get overwritten, but is
>this a bad prectice?

I think that the tests we ran when you came over to my office showed us
that the output files will not get overwritten.  This tells me that you
should delete it/them in the script before doing the conversion.

>If I change the file from GINI to say VIS, what other files are effected?

Do you mean if you change the ADDE dataset name from GINI to VIS (I think
so)?  You could change the dataset from RTGINI to VIS for the VIS images
and IR for the IR images with no need to change anything else.  This is
done with either DSSERVE commands or by editing the file RESOLV.SRV that
will be in your user's McIDAS-X working directory.  What you can _not_
change is the format of the image.

Here is an illustration of the DSSERVE parameters:

DSSERVE -- Manages and lists ADDE dataset names on the local server
   DSSERVE ADD dataset format bfile efile <keywords> "comment

A valid command might be:

DSSERVE ADD BLABLA/WOOFWOOF GINI 1 9999 TYPE=IMAGE INFO=GINI.CFG "GOES-West 1km
VIS

The things that must not change are:

o format == GINI
o TYPE   == IMAGE
o range  == 1 9999
o INFO   == GINI.CFG

The dataset and group names are totally arbitrary (e.g. BLABLA instead
of RTGINI and WOOFWOOF instead of GW1KVIS).

The entry in your RESOLV.SRV file probably looks like:

N1=RTGINI,N2=GW1KVIS,TYPE=IMAGE,RT=N,K=GINI,R1=1,R2=9999,Q=GINI.CFG,C=GINI 1 km
VIS West CONUS,

As per the discussion above, the parameters you can change are N1= and N2=.
TYPE=, K=, R1=, R2=, and Q= should not be changed.

Of course, after you change these, your IMGCOPY command line will need
to change to match the new values.

The same argument applies to the definition of the netCDF dataset.

Please let me know if I am not addressing your specific concern.

>Thanks,
>Dave

Tom