20000619: default shell for McIDAS-X install

>From: Anthony James Wimmers <address@hidden>

Tony,

>Alas, we do have a problem setting up mcidas on our laptop (which we
>called "barb"). It won't recognize the McINST_ROOT definition when
>I try to install it. We are using a bash shell. The file .bashrc has
>this line:
>
>McINST_ROOT=/home/mcidas

Presumably, you want the default shell for the 'mcidas' user to be bash.
If you don't, you can change it to a shell you are more familar with.

Perhaps McINST_ROOT needs to be exported:

export McINST_ROOT=/home/mcidas

>But when I try to install, then it gives an error message and kicks out
>(I've included the command "echo $McINST_ROOT" just to make sure that
>is not the problem.)
>
>[wimmers@barb wimmers]$ telnet barb
>Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to barb
>(127.0.0.1). Escape character is '^]'.
>
>Red Hat Linux release 6.2 (Zoot)
>Kernel 2.2.14-6.1.1 on an i686
>login: mcidas
>Password:
>Last login: Mon Jun 19 17:14:51 from barb
>DELL-installed Red Hat Linux Fri Jun 9 10:55:59 CDT 2000
>barb: /home/mcidas $
>barb: /home/mcidas $ echo $McINST_ROOT
>/home/mcidas
>barb: /home/mcidas $ cd ~mcidas
>barb: /home/mcidas $./mcinstall
>     You must define McINST_ROOT as the full pathname of an
>     existing directory where you intend to install Unidata
>     McIDAS-X Version 7.60 first.
>     Please define McINST_ROOT and try again...
>barb: /home/mcidas $
>
>Any ideas?

Try exporting McINST_ROOT.  Bash is like the Bourne shell, and you
have to export enviornment variables in it.

>Could it be that we're not allowed to use the bash shell?

You are definitely allowed to use bash.

>I'm reaching here.
>
>Thanks,

Tom