20000720: McIDAS-X installation at Western Michigan (cont.)

>From: address@hidden

Elen,

>I do have to refresh my McIDAS commands!

Yes, McIDAS is changing (for the better).  The ADDE client/server recast
of applications requires some learning for us old dogs, but it is well
worth the pain.  You can convince yourself of this if/when you run the
display of GINI imagery that is located on a machine here at UCAR.

>I have Windows 2000 on my new Dell machine. Do you still think I could install
>McIDAS on it?

Here is a snippit relating to Windows from the SSEC MUG page on supported
platforms:

Vendor: Microsoft
Operating System
                Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 6 and
                Softway Systems INTERIX 2.2 with Service Pack 1
Fortran compiler*
                f2c: 19980516
C compiler*
                gcc: 2.7.2
X Server
                Hummingbird Exceed 6.1.1

I don't know if the code will work in Windows 2000.  We have found that
some code that runs under NT runs in 2000, and some doesn't.  I guess
that the only thing you could do is load Interix and Exceed and try
it out.  I must add that both of these packages cost real money.  An
editorial comment by me would be that the longterm viability of Interix
is in question since they were bought by Microsoft about a half a
year ago.  Still, it may be worth a try if you have someone there that
is competent to install and configure these packages on Windows.

>As you can see I will be working with GOES images at full resolution.

GOES not POES; got it.

Tom