20000801: Unknown error source using fx and mccomp

>From: Craig Motell <address@hidden>

Craig,

You got it.  When asking for support of McIDAS, you will always get me (Tom).

>I am trying to use Mcidas tools, FX, with mccomp and mcfc.
>
>I have an HP-UX operating system but I installed "f2c" and "gcc"
>compilers.

OK.  This is a configuration that I have not tried.

>I am running fx and getting the following type of error message:
>
>> dtauto.for
>> ../bin/mccomp[1013]: test: Specify a parameter with this command.
>> mcfc -c -I/usr/include/X11R6 -I/usr/include/X11R5 -I. odtauto.f
>>
>> CC is defined as
>> gcc
>> odtauto.f:
>>    automode:
>> Warning on line 255 of odtauto.f: local variable ltime never used
>> Warning on line 255 of odtauto.f: local variable xdist never used
>>   avtemp:
>>    xavg:
>> as: "/var/tmp/ccWRF7ue.s", line 458: error 1052: Directive name not recogniz
> ed - NSUBSPA
>> as: "/var/tmp/ccWRF7ue.s", line 2277: error 1052: Directive name not recogni
> zed - NSUBSPA
>> as: "/var/tmp/ccWRF7ue.s", line 3133: error 1052: Directive name not recogni
> zed - NSUBSPA
>> as: "/var/tmp/ccWRF7ue.s", line 6070: error 1052: Directive name not recogni
> zed - NSUBSPA
>> as: "/var/tmp/ccWRF7ue.s", line 6389: error 1052: Directive name not recogni
> zed - NSUBSPA
>> as: "/var/tmp/ccWRF7ue.s", line 8226: error 1052: Directive name not recogni
> zed - NSUBSPA
>> as: "/var/tmp/ccWRF7ue.s", line 8882: error 1052: Directive name not recogni
> zed - NSUBSPA

I have never seen NSUBSPA before.  Also, this appears to be the assembler
that is running.

>Two questions:
>1) I am getting a warning message for MCCOMP, even though the line
>where this warning message is looks for either "vendor" to be set to
>true or else $MCIDAS_F77 to have a value.
>
>Do you why I am getting a warning here?

No, sorry.  Plus, it appears that the version of mccomp that you are using
is different than mine.  I modified the version of mccomp.sh that went
out with my distribution to default to use of vendor compilers for all
systems except Linux and FreeBSD.  If a site wants to use gcc, then s/he
must specify the -gcc flag to mccomp invocations.

>2) Have you ever seen the error ending with NSUBSPA?

Nope.

>I realize that this is NOT your problem but mind, since this is not
>supported software. However, if you can give me any hints. Especially about
>the warning in question 1, it would be appreciated.

Are, in fact, you using SSEC's McIDAS-X distribution and not mine?  If so,
there will be some disconnect since I changed the compiler to use defaults.

Tom