20000801: Unknown error source using fx and mccomp (cont.)

>From: Craig Motell <address@hidden>

Craig,

>Thank you for your help on this, even though I didn't get the answers I
>wanted.

I feel bad that I did not give you the help you were looking for.

Here are a couple of things: I never use fx.  I usually add code directly
to the distribution makefile and am then able to do things like:

make xyz.o
make xya.k

This bypasses the fx route completely.  The reason that I add things to
the distribution makefile is that as far as my users are concerned, I
am the originating source.  You, on the other hand, are not, so it makes
more sense for you to build your code outside of the McIDAS source tree.
I would suggest, however, that you should probably implement a makefile
in your source directory that mimics the McIDAS makefile.  In this case,
you would be running mccomp directly.

OK, on to mccomp.  I don't know why you are getting the message from mccomp
that you are getting.  I can suggest, however, that you can see what
the gcc and/or mcfc command line to be run is and run it by hand.  This
way you could get to the bottom of your compilation problem without going
through the fx/mccomp layers.

>I am using both Unidata and Wisconsin stuff at the same time. I guess you can
>say I go both ways with the software.

:-)

>I have a very interesting software code
>that determines or I should say estimates the windspeeds in a hurricane using
>McIdas GOES area files. I got this directly from Wisconsin. I also want to
>modify this code for my own use on "unidata" based code; therefore, I'm trying
>to learn how these things work (i.e., fx, mccomp, mcfc, etc).

OK, I understand.

>I'll ask the scientist from SSEC questions then! He isn't a unidata support
>person but who knows.

OK.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Tom

>From address@hidden Thu Aug  3 11:15:48 2000
>Subject: Re: 20000801: Excellent tips

Dear Tom:

Thank you for your hints. I will try them today. I appreciate your effort on
a problem that is not your!

> OK.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
> P.S., I would discard this last comment! :)

Sincerely,
Craig Motell
NWS-HFO-UH-PRC