20000804: McIDAS-X installation at Western Michigan(cont.)

>From: address@hidden

Elen,

>I am able to work with the areas I moved to s418/ilya2/mcidas/data.  Of
>course I followed your directions on how to redirect to that location.

Excellent.  Glad to hear of your progress.

>Unfortunately, I can access mcidas account only from s418 workstation
>using mcidas username.
>
>How can I access can I run mcidas from my own account?  My username is
>cutrim.  Could you enable it to run mcidas?

Yes, you can configure your account to run McIDAS-X.  The directions for
doing this are contained in:

Unidata McIDAS-X HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/index.html
  Installation
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/mcidas-x.html
    Configuring Unidata McIDAS-X Accounts
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/config_mcx.html
      Configuring User Accounts
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/config_users.html

Basically, all you have to do is (comments assume that you use the C shell):

o login to your account

o create the mcidas/data directory:

  mkdir mcidas
  mkdir mcidas/data

o edit .cshrc and add:

if ( ! ${?MCPATH} ) then
setenv MCDATA ${HOME}/mcidas/data
setenv MCPATH ${MCDATA}:/home7/ldm/mcidas/data:/home7/ldm/mcidas/help
setenv MCGUI  /home7/ldm/mcidas/bin
setenv MCTABLE_READ "${MCDATA}/MCTABLE.TXT;/home7/ldm/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT"
setenv MCTABLE_WRITE "${MCDATA}/MCTABLE.TXT"
endif

setenv PATH ${MCGUI}:$PATH

o make these additions active in your account:

  log out and then log in

  or

  source .cshrc

o verify that you can "see" the McIDAS-X executables:

  which mcidas

  This should come back with /home7/ldm/mcidas/bin/mcidas.

o start a McIDAS-X session:

  cd mcidas/data
  mcidas

o add the REDIRECTions for the AREA files that you want:

  REDIRECT ADD AREA6239 "/ilya2/mcidas/data
  REDIRECT ADD AREA6240 "/ilya2/mcidas/data
  REDIRECT ADD AREA6241 "/ilya2/mcidas/data

You should now be able to run the various McIDAS commands that you need
to do your analysis.

Please let me know if you run into any snags.

>I just removed the areas from the mcidas/mcidas/data directory.

OK, good.  This will help out the disk allocation constraints in the
'mcidas' account.

Tom

>From address@hidden Fri Aug  4 14:58:09 2000
>Subject: Re: 20000804: McIDAS-X installation at Western Michigan(cont.)

Thanks Tom,
I will try this. I will let you know if I get into troubles.  I already
have a mcidas directory on my cutrim account.  Maybe I should remove
everything and start fresh with the commands you just sent to me.

Elen

Elen Cutrim
Associate Professor
Geography Department