20000804: configuring McIDAS-X accounts file REDIRECTions

>From: mcidas <address@hidden>

Pat,

>Hello.  we are still in the process of building McIDAS-X.  We have reached
>the point where we must run McIDAS and perform the
>
>  REDIRECT REST LOCAL.NAM
>
>commands.

This step is done in two different places in the installation process:

Configuring the mcidas Account
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/config_mcidas.html

and

Configuring User Accounts
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/config_users.html

In both cases, the ability to do the REDIRECT REST LOCAL.NAM depends on:

o the user having configured their MCPATH environment variable so that it
  includes the ~mcidas/data directory right

o the user 'mcidas' having made a local copy of the file EXAMPLE.NAM
  in the ~mcidas/data directory, and edited the local copy, to be named
  LOCAL.NAM, to match the local setup (e.g., where various McIDAS data
  files are located)

>Doing this gets us the error:
>
>  REDIRECT: File does not exist=LOCAL.NAM
>
>What have we done wrong?

Either your MCPATH is not set or set correctly, or you have not yet made
the file LOCAL.NAM as the copy of EXAMPLE.NAM with editorial changes.
I would suspect that the problem is that LOCAL.NAM does not yet exist.

The section on Configuring the mcidas Account contains the information
on creating LOCAL.NAM.

>Thanks.

Please let me know if you continue to have problems.

Tom