20000828: Building McIdas-X on Compaq XP1000 ALPHA

>From: Frederic J Chagnon <address@hidden>

Frederic,

>I am getting an error when I attempt to build the McIdas-X 7.6 using the "make
>mcx" command in the /home/mcidas/mcidas7.6/src directory.
>I have verified all the previous setup (accounts, paths, env. vars., ...) and
>everything is set as required in the manual. The McINST_ROOT is defined as
>/home/mcidas.

OK.  One quick note: we have never tested Unidata McIDAS on this type of
machine.  Our OSF/1 box here in Unidata is pretty old, and we are running
OSF/1 4.0E.  I believe that your machine is running something else; true?
If so, what?

>Here is the error message:
>
>compile maknav.pgm:             done
>link    maknav.k:               done
>compile map.pgm:                FAILED (See '/spare/MCIDAS/mcidas7.6/src/makel
>g' for details.)
>
>*** Exit 1
>Stop.
>
>And here is the log entry:
>
>f77 -s -O -o maknav.k main.o maknav.o -L. -lmcidas -nofor_main -lm
>link   maknav.k:               done
>./mccomp -O -vendor -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc -c map.pgm
>f77 -c -O -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc map.f
>f90: Error: map.f, line 2802: This name has already been assigned a data type.
>
>  [NUMSETS]
>      integer numsets
>--------------^
>compile        map.pgm:                FAILED
>
>Could you please assist me in dealing with this problem.

It appears that your compiler is pickier than the one in OSF/1 4.0E.
Do the following:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd mcidas7.6/src
<edit map.pgm and go to line 2802>
  comment out the second declaration of numsets in this routine (you will
  see the first declaration a few lines before this)
<exit the editor and type>
make all

>Many thanks.

I have to warn you that I recently discovered a series of routines in which
the same sort of double declaration of variables was happening.  This
programming flub has been reported to SSEC for McIDAS-X Version 7.7x
and has been fixed.  (I havn't yet released the Unidata distribution of
7.70 since it is not ready for prime time yet).  You are likely to
run into a number of other routines that will have to be edited to
comment out the second declaration of a variable.

Also, one routine, zlm.pgm, calls a function subroutine both as a function call
and as a subroutine.  This may or may not cause more than a warning on
your machine, but I thought you should know.

The list of mods that you might have to worry about during your build
(taken from our 7.70 distribution) was:

mcaput.for             SSEC 7.70 version with mods
                         removed duplicate definitions of 'irs', 'iws',
                           'ncal', and 'nnav'

mcid2idn.for           SSEC 7.70 version with mods
                         removed definitions of functions defined in
                           stations.inc which is read in through an include

sndskewt.pgm           SSEC 7.70 version with mods
                         remove duplicate declarations of 'cunits', 'dcpix',
                           and 'luc' (two places in file)

zlm.pgm                SSEC 7.70 version with mods
                         mcfsize called as a subroutine and as a function;
                           it is a function so change 'call mcfsize' to
                           'iret = mcfsize'

>Frederic Chagnon        (617)253-5450
>Ralph M. Parsons Laboratory    48-114
>Massachusetts Institute of Technology