20000830: Current Setup at University of Puerto Rico (cont.)

>From: McIDAS <address@hidden>

Karli,

>I've been trying to intall McIDAS on Mandrake, and so far I'm stuck
>in the compilation with the following error:
>L_SHLIB_EXT=\".so\" ./../generic/tclPosixStr.c
>./../generic/tclPosixStr.c: In function `Tcl_ErrnoId':
>./../generic/tclPosixStr.c:340: duplicate case value
>./../generic/tclPosixStr.c:328: this is the first entry for that value
>./../generic/tclPosixStr.c: In function `Tcl_ErrnoMsg':
>./../generic/tclPosixStr.c:787: duplicate case value
>./../generic/tclPosixStr.c:775: this is the first entry for that value
>make[1]: *** [tclPosixStr.o] Error 1
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mcidas/mcidas7.6/tcl/unix'
>make: *** [.built_tcl] Error 2

This is in the Tcl/Tk portion of the build.

>I installed f2c (i think correctly),

f2c does not come into play with the build of the Tcl/Tk stuff since it
is all C code.  f2c converts Fortran code to C.

>set the correct evnironment
>variables (again, I think) and even rad tclconfig,

I am betting that you do not need to run tclconfig.

>and yet I keep
>getting the same error no patter what, for both make all, and make mcx.

The only difference in the 'make all' and 'make mcx' options is tht the
'make all' will build McIDAS-X first and then McIDAS-XCD.  In either
case, one of the early things that needs to be built is the Tcl/Tk packages,
and this is where you are running into problems.

>Do you have any ideas as to why this could be so?

I checked our FTP logs and note that you did not come in and regrab the
distribution.  This means that you do not have the addenda that fixed
numerous bugs over the past year.  In particular, you do not have Addendum
#2 which provided code modifications to Tcl/Tk modules for RedHat Linux
6.x.  It is likely that your version of Mandarake is also complaining about
problems that were fixed by this addendum, so you should grab it.  The
good news is that the addenda are cumulative.  Once you grab the file,
you get all of the fixes up until that addenda was released.

So, here is what you should do:

<login as 'mcidas'>

cd mcidas7.6/src
make clobber

cd ../update
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> umcidas
  <pass> XXXXXX
  cd unix/760/bugfix
  binary
  get mcupdate.tar.Z
  quit

./mcunpack

cd ../src
make all               (or 'make mcx' if you are not going to be running
                        the XCD decoders on this machine)

make install.all       (or 'make install.mcxall')

>Thanks
>Karli

Tom

>From address@hidden Thu Aug 31 17:11:50 2000
>Subject: Re: 20000830: Current Setup at University of Puerto Rico (cont.)

tom,

Thank you for all of your help! I will be leaving shortly and will be on
and off communicating.  I wated to inform you that I will be chaging the
ldm and mcidas passwords back to their orginal states, but keep the one
I gave you handy, in case we need your help again in the short term we
will change it back.  If you still need to do changes email me and I
will set it back to what it is now.  I will be trying the compilation
within a few days and I'll let you know what will be of that. Again
thank you very much for all of your 'miracles' and as promised, the
website is up and in it's 'final initial stage' (if you know what i mean
;) so you can look at it. It should be at least decent enough that
you'll like it I hope... :)

Karli