20000926: upgrading to the ldm-mcidas pnga2area decoder (cont.)

>From: Erick Lorenz <address@hidden>

Erick,

>Whatever you did it works!  I am getting MD files.

The XCD decoders were exiting and restarting continuously.  The XCD_START.LOG
file in ~mcidas/workdata was 9 MB large this morning as a result of the
constant restarts.  What was needed was a viable copy of SYSKEY.TAB in
/var/data/xcd.  Since the MCGUI uses values from this file, and since you
have your ingest/decode split between the /var/data/mcidas and /var/data/xcd
directories, I did the following:

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin stop

<as 'mcidas'>
cd /var/data/mcidas
cp ~mcidas/data/SYSKEY.TAB .       (the copy of SYSKEY.TAB there was empty)
cd /var/data/xcd
ln /var/data/mcidas/SYSKEY.TAB .
ln /var/data/mcidas/ROUTE.SYS .

I also RELeased the creation of composite imagery:

cd ~/workdata
route.k REL C
route.k REL N

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin start

This was what was needed to fix the problem.  I did more, however:

<as 'ldm'>
<edited .cshrc and added /bin and removed the ldm-mcidas directory from PATH>
<copied all needed ldm-mcidas decoders from
/usr/local/ldm-mcidas/ldm-mcidas-7.6.4/bin to ~ldm/decoders. I mentioned
that this was my recommended way of setting up the decoders during our
phone conversation yesterday.>

cd etc
<edited all copies of ldmd.conf and change the request lines to
split the request for MCIDAS off of the request for other data.  I
also added the request for FSL2 data and a request for NLDN data>
<edited pqact.conf and added entries at the bottom for decoding of
NLDN and FSL2 (wind profiler) data>

You should take a look at ldmd.conf (and the failover copies) to see
what was done.

You need to contact SUNY Albany and ask them to update their LDM ALLOWs
so that atm20 can get the NLDN data.  Send the email to
address@hidden.

One last note, I saw the XCD decoders stop (disappear from a 'ps -u ldm'
listing) a couple of times.  You should keep an eye on this to make sure
that it was an abberation.

>The xcd directory is much smaller now so the scour must be working.

I deleted all .IDX and .XCD files to let things start afresh.  The
scouring _is_ setup and working also.

>I am going to set up those accounts today.  I will let you know how they work.

I will be out of the office from tomorrow through Sunday.

Tom