20001003: Support for McIDAS

>From: Mike Yohe <address@hidden>

Mike,

>Our Geography and Meteorology Department has asked us to provide
>support for McIDAS.
>
>We can support a machine with Solaris without difficulty.
>
>What additional knowledge, time, or other resources would we need
>to be able to support the McIDAS application?

It might be easiest to see what may be needed by referring to some relevant
McIDAS web pages:

Supported Platforms
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/specs.html

McIDAS-X Installation Instructions
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/mcidas-x.html

The beginning of the installation instructions contain information on
configuring shared memory for the platforms we support.  Sun Solaris is
one of the OSes that has to be configured to support more shared memory.

If it is desired to run the McIDAS-XCD package (data decoders for McIDAS),
then you can add a lot of disk to the list of requirements.  The amount
you need depends on what you are trying to do and how much data you want
to keep around, but it is a safe bet that you can easily consume
2 GB of disk.  This number can really sky rocket if you try to keep
a few days of model data online.

>Thanks in advance.

Please let me know if this is not the kind of information you were looking
for.

>- Mike
>--
>J. Michael Yohe
>Executive Director, Electronic Information Services
>Valparaiso University
>134 Kretzmann Hall, Valparaiso, IN  46383-6493
>E-mail: address@hidden; Phone: 219-464-5072; FAX: 219-464-5381
>--

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden Wed Oct  4 07:50:08 2000
>Subject: Re: 20001003: Support for McIDAS

Thanks.  I think this is exactly what we need.  I'll refer it to our
technical staff; they can get in touch with you if they have unanswered
questions.  Cheers!

- Mike