20001011: McIDAS-X 7.7 build/install/configure (cont.)

>From: address@hidden

Jennie,

>So you are suggesting that all I need to do is edit (as root)
>the inetd.conf entries, rather than install, eg:
>
>sh ./mcinetversion#.sh uninstall mcadde
>and
>sh ./mcinet7.7.sh install mcadde ??

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.  All the script does is add the
entries to /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services.  You already have entries
that are almost 100% correct, so why not simply edit the file and then
send a HUP to the inetd process.

>I didn't run this shellscript, was it done as part of the
>make install??

I believe that I did the remote ADDE setup for you during one of our
long winded phone conversations a couple of years ago.

re: LSSERVE.BAT and LOCDATA.BAT are local copies created by site representatives

>Right, I don't see how could they be non-existant, its not like the
>copies of DSSERVE.BAT and DATALOC.BAT are locally modified.  I'm
>puzzled.

Non-existent where?  In /home/mcidas/data?  They wouldn't exist in
/home/mcadde/data since you would have had to create them there by
copying DSSERVE.BAT and DATALOC.BAT:

cd /home/mcadde/data
cp DSSERVE.BAT LSSERVE.BAT
cp DATALOC.BAT LOCDATA.BAT

<edit, IF necessary, LSSERVE.BAT and LOCDATA.BAT>

re: are you game for me doing the realtime datasets on windfall

>Yes, I am game.  The files that define the directories and the dataset
>and file names are in my mcidas/data directory:
>
>windfall: /home/jlm8h/mcidas/data $ ls *TOP*
>ADDTOPSEA.BAT     ADDTOPSEC.BAT     TOPSEC.NAM
>ADDTOPSEB.BAT     TOPSEA.NAM       TOPSEB.NAM

OK.

>I had started what I thought this might look like, I was
>modifying a copy of DSSERVE.BAT in my directory /home/jlm8h/DSSERVE.BAT,

OK, but you now realize that for the remote server, you would have had
to do this as 'mcidas' in the previous setup and as 'mcadde' in the current
setup.  Right!?

>the part I had changed I just copied out to something I called
>/home/jlm8h/ADDETOPSE.BAT.  Is this the sort of thing that mcadde
>would need (it looked like you had moved away from one big
>DSSERVE to a bunch of ADDE-serve files (eg., CIMS, RTIME, etc.)

Right.

>Anyway, I will happily sit back and be guinea pig.

OK.  Since I don't have root login, you will have to do the /etc/inetd.conf
changes and send the HUP to the inetd process.  Please don't forget, as
this will allow me to test the dataset setup from here.

Tom