20001011: McIDAS-X 7.7 build/install/configure (cont.)

>From: address@hidden

Jennie,

re: HUP signal tells inetd to reread inetd.conf

>Okay, thanks for the clarification.

re: DSSERVEs for "standard" datasets were probably setup by hand

>Okay.

>Tom, thanks a bunch.  I will try to access this later from home and
>see if I can get to Topse archived info.  Hey, just so you
>know, the partition these files are on /q4 is real, but the
>AREA files (GRID files, etc) are links to data sitting on a remotely
>mounted disk /hsm/jlm8h.

OK.

>This is a hierarchical storage media managed by ITC (UVA Computer Center),
>we get a lot of space, but if the files are not active, there may
>be a long wait for the first reference (after that, it is pretty quick
>since the files are moved back onto the drive from the storage media...
>well, thats my understanding of it anyway)....Hope this hasn't already
>confused you.
>
>lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldma     mcidas        53 Mar  7  2000 AREA6540 -> /hsm/jlm8h/t
> opseA/images/goes8wv/200002292115.goes8wv

If the files are really specified like:

/hsm/jlm8h/topseA/images/goes8wv/200002292115.goes8wv

then this can be used directly to setup the datasets.  In fact, it is
better than referring to the link!  You may want to consider dropping
the links you setup in favor of the real file pathnames.  See below.

After setting up TOPSEA, I did a quick IMGLIST:

IMGLIST TOPSEA/GE-AW
Image file directory listing for:TOPSEA/GE-AW
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
 136  G-8 IMG       29 FEB 00060  18:00:00    23   71 3
IMGLIST: done

So, you can see that it worked.

I took the information you had put into files like ADDTOPSEA.BAT/TOPSEA.NAM,
etc. and created a McIDAS BATCH file to setup all of your TOPSE datasets
in one fell swoop.   The file is /home/mcadde/TOPSEADDE.BAT.  The DSSERVE
commands in it were "activated" by:

batch.k \"TOPSEADDE.BAT

I also took the same information and created a second BATCH file,
TOPSEADDE2.BAT, that used the direct file names like:

/hsm/jlm8h/topseA/images/goes8wv/200002292115.goes8wv

Both of these BATCH files setup the same set of datasets: TOPSEA, TOPSEB,
TOPSEC, and TOPSED.

After running:

batch.k \"TOPSEADDE.BAT

the datasets definitions were created, but I was unable to see files
either through an IMGLIST or through a simple 'ls' in the Unix
session.  My guess is that the images were needing to be moved back to
an active partition from the mass storage system.  There must be a way
of forcing this from the Unix command line so that ADDE access to the
data will be quick.

I think that if you look at the contents of TOPSEADDE.BAT and
TOPSEADDE2.BAT, you will get the idea of how the 7.7 version of DSSERVE
can be run, and how it does not need to use REDIRECTions or MCPATH (big
win).

Also, if you look at /home/mcadde/data/LSSERVE.BAT, you will see how I
setup your realtime datasets.  I was attempting to totally update the
DSSERVE commands to use the DIRFILE= keyword syntax, but I ran into
problems coming up with regular expressions that would match thins
like:

DSSERVE ADD RTPTSRC/SFCHOURLY MD 1 10 RT=YES "Realtime surface point sourc data

If the MD files ranged from 0 to 9, the regular expression would be
easy (MDXX000*), but it is more like: (MDXX000*|MDXX0010). Images in
AREA files are saved in this way, so they are easy.  Also, the way you
were saving data for TOPSE was also nice in that it made setting up
regular expression easy.

It seems as though the code SSEC added does not understand the
(MDXX000*|MDXX0010) construct (or I am screwed up by how it should
work).  I may keep playing with this on windfall to see if I can come
up with something.  I _really_ would like it if the files could be
specified without having to use _any_ REDIRECTions or MCPATH.

>later,

Yup, it is later.  I had to run out and pickup a keg (for me) and run
to the Liquor Mart to snarf up stuff for Sally's retirement party
tomorrow.

Tom