20001106: inetd configuration setup on Linux 7.0

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Xandy,

Well, the Linux boys have done it again!  It looks like RedHat 7.0 contains
an entirely new way of configuring inetd.  There is no longer a file
called /etc/inetd.conf.  It appears to have been replaced by 'xinetd'
and the xinet.d directory.  The McIDAS ADDE installation process modifies
/etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services.  Given that /etc/inetd.conf no longer
exists in 7.0, I need to update the ADDE installation process to account
for the changes in 7.0.

Could you research how one goes about adding support for a service in
the new Linux world and give me a quick rundown?  I would be most
appreciative!

Tom