20001106: new set up at UBC

>From: "Ian T. Okabe" <address@hidden>

Ian,

>We have a new systems administrator, Gerry Lee (address@hidden), and he
>has rebuild our Sun Sparc 4 (arctic.ucfv.bc.ca) with Solaris 7. He now has
>to rebuild our Unidata software. I can't find my passwords for access to
>Unidata software, so could you send them to me. Thanks.

The information you need is:

machine: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu

McIDAS-X:
-----------------------------
user: umcidas
pass: XXXXXX
directory: unix/760         (7.70 will be in unix/770; it will be officially
                             released _soon_)

GEMPAK:
-----------------------------
user: gbuddy
pass: XXXXXX
directory: nawips-5.6

>I also need advice on software. The only capability we really require is
>for an automatically updated display of GOES-WEST IR satellite animation.

OK.

>The java application that you show as an example is perfect, except we need
>it for GOES-WEST (http://mcdemo.unidata.ucar.edu/getopoloop.html). McIDAS
>7.7 has ADDE now, so do we really need LDM, or can we access what we need
>with just McIDAS 7.7 through an ADDE server?

If all you require is GOES-West imagery, then you can get what you want
when you want it via ADDE at: adde.ucar.edu.  The ADDE dataset you will
need to access has group name RTIMAGES and various descriptors that can
be listed with the McIDAS-X DSINFO command:

from a McIDAS-X session:

DATALOC ADD RTIMAGES adde.ucar.edu
DSINFO IMAGE RTIMAGES

>Thanks in advance.

You may want to work your way through the latest McIDAS-X Learning
Guide (for 7.70) as its final section has information on accessing
real-time data through ADDE.  Simply go to the Unidata HomePage; then
to the Software link; next to McIDAS; then to Version 7.7; click on the
DOCS menu at the top; finally, choose McIDAS-X Learning Guide.
Please let me know if you have questions.

>Ian
>--
>Ian T. Okabe (address@hidden) Geography
>University College of the Fraser Valley, Abbotsford, Canada

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden Mon Nov  6 14:41:30 2000
>Subject: Re: 20001106: new set up at UBC

Thanks Tom!