20001114: MDXX problems in McIDAS-X 7.6x PRPOLT

>From: "Patrick S. Market" <address@hidden>

Pat,

>I am trying to display data from an MD formatted profiler file using
>McIDAS-X 7.612.  The file contains data from April 1997.
>
>I built the file (titled MDXX4450) in 1998 from archived data at UW.
>
>Now, using the command structure:
>
>   PROPLT WNCI2 18 17 60 MDF=4450 DAY=97100

The syntax you are using looks correct.

>I get a blank time-height background in the display window,
>and an error:
>
>   PROPLT: Unable to open MD file #  90

This must mean that there is a bug in PROPLT.

>My data file (MDXX4450) resides in my ~/mcidas/data directory.

Would it be possible for me to FTP this file to my system so I can
troubleshoot the bug in PROPLT?  Thanks in advance.

The other alternative is for you to use the newer, ADDE profiler
plotting command PROFSECT.  I suggest using this approach since PROPLT
has been removed from the 7.7 distribution of McIDAS-X (not yet released).

One procedure for using PROFSECT would be:

o if your McIDAS-X session doesn't already have a dataset defined
  named MYDATA/PTSRCS, then create it:

  DSSERVE ADD MYDATA/PTSRCS MD 1 9999 "All point source data files in MD file
format

o after you have the MYDATA/RTPTSRC dataset defined, you can use
  PROFSECT as follows:

  PROFSECT WNCI2 18 17 -60 DATASET=MYDATA/PTSRCS.4450 DAY=1997100

  (I just noticed that the DATASET keyword is not defined in the online
  help for PROFSECT.  Nonetheless, it is valid and it does set the dataset
  to use with PROFSECT.)

  Even though you probably already know this, I feel compelled to
  note:  I specified the 'tinc' positional parameter as '-60' instead
  of 60.  What I am telling PROFSECT to do is plot 17 hours of WNCI2
  data ending at 18 Z with 18 Z being on the left hand side of the
  plot.  If you specify 'tinc' as '60', then the 18 Z observations will
  be plotted on the right hand side of the plot.

>Please help an old McIDAS user dust off the cobwebs.

No problem.  Please help me debug PROPLT (even though it is going away)
by letting me FTP your MD file to a machine here at Unidata.

>Thanks.

You are welcome.

Tom