20001115: McIDAS xcd_run problem

>From: "David B. Bukowski" <address@hidden>

Dave,

>I'm having a problem running xcd on my box with mcidas, it was an install
>straight from source.

Presumably, Version 7.6.xx; true?

>Did the patch to compile the source in the first
>place on the redhat 6.2 box.

What patch?

>Currently its all set up, but for some
>reason, it won't decode the data.  Or it does, but then it can't write the
>data.  It shows the ingetext.k DDS running then it dies.  looking further
>I see a core dump.

What process does(do) your core file(s) come from?

>I'll fwd several core dumps if you request them.

No, I don't want the files, but I do want to know what process(es) it(they)
came from.

>Any other info you need, just let me know what you need ;)

Did you:

o copy xcd_run to a directory 'ldm's PATH; we recommend something like
  ~ldm/decoders; while you are at it, copy the ldm-mcidas decoders
  and the Bourne shell script 'batch.k' distributed with ldm-mcidas
  to this same directory

o edit xcd_run and set the various McIDAS-related environment variables
  to match your McIDAS-X installation; while you are at it, edit
  batch.k and define the same environment variables as you just did
  in xcd_run

o make sure that your 'mcidas' and 'ldm' users are both in the same group

o make sure that the HOME directory of the user 'mcidas' has read/write/execute
  permissions for owner and group, and read/execute for world;  while
  you are at it, make sure that the umask for the users 'mcidas' and
  'ldm' are both set to 002

o make sure that you setup the XCD decoding stuff in the 'mcidas' account
  While the LDM was either not running or not configured to do anything
  with XCD yet, this would have involved:

  o logging in as 'mcidas'

  o change directory to data and setup the REDIRECTion template file
    LOCAL.NAM from the example template file EXAMPLE.NAM

    cd data
    cp EXAMPLE.NAM LOCAL.NAM

    edit LOCAL.NAM and set the directory locations for the various files
    (AREA, GRID, MDXX, etc) to be the directory where you want XCD to
    decoded data

  o change directory to ~mcidas/workdata and make the REDIRECTions
    you just defined active:

    cd ~/workdata
    redirect.k REST LOCAL.NAM

  o define the McIDAS string XCDDATA to be the directory where you want
    XCD to decode data

  o make sure that both 'mcidas' and 'ldm' can write to the directory
    that you just specified in XCDDATA

  o copy the version of SCHEMA that is distributed with McIDAS to
    the directory defined by XCDDATA; while you are at it, copy the
    versions of ROUTE.SYS and SYSKEY.TAB that come with McIDAS-X
    to that same directory and make sure that they are readable
    AND writable by the user running the LDM

  o run the two McIDAS BATCH files to setup XCD decoding:

    batch.k XCD.BAT
    batch.k XCDDEC.BAT

    this should have resulted in a set of files being created in
    the directory defined by XCDDATA

o add starting of 'xcd_run MONITOR' to ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf.

o add processing of data in ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf

o after all of the above has been done, you can stop and restart the
  LDM.  XCD decoding should proceed.

I am guessing that one or more of the above steps has been missed/skipped.
After doing the above, the McIDAS-XCD decoders should be able to write
to the directory defined by XCDDATA.  If it still doesn't, I suspect
read/write permissions and/or bad McIDAS-XCD executables.

Tom Yoksas