20001122: IMGREMAP: MAG= vs RES= (cont.)

>From: Jason Allard <address@hidden>

Jason,

>Hello again, I think this line of questioning is just about over... your idea
>for the batch files is what I've been looking for.

OK, it took me awhile to understand what your intentions are, sorry.

>I know that more than 9999
>images is a lot, but I'll have the original images, the subsetted images, the
>images that I run the new command on, and then the new images that I run the
>other new command on... so about 100 days with 24 images a day (12 VIS, 12 IR),
>or 2400, then subsetted, or a total of 4800, then... and so on... and that's if
>I don't add more days, which I might have to do once I see the results... if I
>could have three unique REDIRECTs each with 9999 images, it would make the
>data handling easier (deal with weak and only weak, then strong, etc) and it
>would make sure I have enough AREAs.

OK, the numbers of images can add up fast.

>Just to make sure I understand the batch command... I would create three new
>.BAT
>files:
>
>BEST.BAT
>WEAK.BAT
>STRONG.BAT
>
>Within each file, I'll have the command (respectively),
>
>REDIRECT ADD AREA* "/fractal/s2/allard/mcidas/best
>REDIRECT ADD AREA* "/fractal/s2/allard/mcidas/weak
>REDIRECT ADD AREA* "/fractal/s2/allard/mcidas/strong

If by respectively you that BEST.BAT contains the line:

REDIRECT ADD AREA* "/fractal/s2/allard/mcidas/best

WEAK.BAT contains:

REDIRECT ADD AREA* "/fractal/s2/allard/mcidas/weak

and STRONG.BAT contains:

REDIRECT ADD AREA* "/fractal/s2/allard/mcidas/strong

then, yes.

>I'll have to make sure that the original AREA file for the images are in
>the correct directory, e.g., the weak in the weak directory, etc (I understand
>this part)

Correct again.

>I'll locate the .NAM files in:
>
>/fractal/s2/mcidas/workdata
>
>That's where the other .NAM files have been located, such as the AREA.NAM I was
>using and the LWPATH.NAM.  Or does this not make a difference... I suppose it
>does though.

The file that McIDAS uses is LWPATH.NAM.  You can create different
REDIRECTion configurations and store them in individual .NAM files, but
that isn't necessary when you use the BATCH file approach above.  Basically,
the entry in LWPATH.NAM will get changed by the REDIRECT function in
each of the BATCH files.  You would run the BATCH file and then work on
one type of case (best, weak, strong) at a time.

>Then when I'm in mcidas, I'll decide which REDIRECT to use depending upon which
>type of images I'm using... for example, if I want to work with weak, I'll
>type:
>
>BATCH WEAK.BAT

Right.

>If I want to switch to BEST, I'd use:
>
>BATCH BEST.BAT

Exactly.

>I suppose that I should do a REDIRECT CLEAR when switching between the batch
>files so that there is no confusion, or will the batch command negate any
>previous redirects?

The REDIRECT CLEAR is not necessary since the REDIRECT ADD commands in the
BATCH files completely specify where to find all AREA files.

>Then, I can use the DSSERVE command to label the various data groups that I
>have... such as by day and if there the original image or subsetted, etc.

Right again.  Just Remember  that the DSSERVE command creates a
linkage between a dataset group name and descriptor and a set of
data files that compose that dataset group/descriptor.

>If this is all correct, and I use the IMGREMAP command we discussed before,
>then I should have all the info I need to run that new command that has
>finally been installed into mcidas.  I tell you, I'm excited to see if the
>new program works and what results I get.

It should work for you as long as you keep in mind which set of data
you are working on.  This shouldn't be too hard, but I know that
when one gets pressed for time it is pretty easy to forget what
the last thing being worked on was.

>Thanks for the help, and have a happy thanksgiving,

You are welcome, and you too!

Tom