20001201: proposed change to IMGLIST reporting of resolution

>From:  McIDAS Help Desk <address@hidden>

Hi,

>We are considering a change that may make the differences between base
>resolution and pixel resolution less confusing.  We would appreciate
>your feedback if you foresee any problems with this change.

Anything to make this less confusing to end users would be most welcome!
It is difficult at best to explain to people that the resolution reported
in IMGLIST is a multiplicative factor for the base resolution of the
instrument that does the scan.  It would be much better to either list
the calculated resolution at the image center (like you are proposing)
or the resolution calculated from the product of the base resolution and
the multiplicative factor (the base resolution information appears to
be available in SATBAND for supported satellites).

>We would like to change IMGLIST FORM=EXP and FORM=BAND to list the
>Derived Pixel Resolution of the Center Point of the image under the "Res
>(km)" columns.  The line and element base resolution would then appear
>in the final line of the IMGLIST output.  The other formats of IMGLIST
>would not change.

Sounds reasonable except that you might consider letting the user know
that the 'Res (km)' is actually 'Center Res (km)'.  This, at least, would
match the listing for the center Lat,Lon.

>So, in Dave's example below, the IMGLIST output would be something like:
>
>> > An IMGLIST of the image created using IMGREMAP gives:
>IMGLIST MYDATA/IMGAGES.9696 FORM=EXP
>> > Image file directory listing for:MYDATA/IMAGES
>> >  Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center      Res (km)   Image_
> Size
>> >      sensor                                 Lat  Lon    Lat   Lon
>> >  --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ----  ----- ----- -------
> -----
>> > 9696  G-8 IMG        5 SEP 99248  21:15:00    17   78
>> >     Band: 4  10.7 um Surface temp; longwave window       7.6   7.6   400 x
>   880
>> >      proj:    0 created: 2000332 220559  memo: RT GVAR
>> >      type:VISR     cal type:BRIT
>> >      offsets:  data= 2816 navigation=  256 calibration=    0 auxillary=
>  0
>> >      doc length:   0   cal length:   0   lev length:   0 PREFIX=   0
>> >      valcod:          0 zcor:  0 avg-smp: N
>> >      start yyddd: 1999248  start time:211515  start scan:  351
>> >      lcor: 9557  ecor:  9561  bytes per pixel: 1  ss: 70
>> >      Base Resolution:   Line:   1     Element:   1
>> >
>> >           ------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Even the listing of real-time data would change:
>
>> IMGLIST EASTS/CONUS BAND=4 FORM=EXP
>> Image file directory listing for:EASTS/CONUS
>>  Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center      Res (km)   Image_Si
> ze
>>      sensor                                 Lat  Lon    Lat   Lon
>>  --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ----  ----- ----- ---------
> ---
>>   22  G-8 IMG        1 DEC 00336  22:32:00    32   87
>>     Band: 4  10.7 um Surface temp; longwave window       5.3   2.4   883 x 2
> 126
>>      proj:    0 created: 2000336 223144  memo: RT GVAR
>>      type:GVAR     cal type:RAW
>>      offsets:  data=    3328 navigation=  256 calibration= 2816 auxillary=
>   0
>>      doc length: 228   cal length:   0   lev length:   0 PREFIX= 232
>>      valcod:  336223200 zcor:  0 avg-smp: N
>>      start yyddd: 2000336  start time:223144  start scan:  372
>>      lcor: 2973  ecor:  9249  bytes per pixel: 2  ss: 70
>>      Base Resolution:   Line:   4     Element:   4
>

>Please let us know if you see any problems with this change.

I don't forsee any problems with this change other than the normal one of
informing longtime users of it.