20001201: A question and other bits

>From:  "Jeff Wilson" <address@hidden>

Jeff,

Sorry I havn't been able to get after your emails, but I have been consumed
with trying to get my 7.7 distribution out of the door (major change to
some radar products that are soon to be freely available to US universities).

>I have had little time for any java work and none for mcidas apart from
>building mcidas 7.7 on the linux box.

Well, let me tell you that if you upgrade to RedHat 7.0, and you want to
be able to run the ADDE remote server from your PC, you will run into
new problems.  The FSF guys, in their infinite wisdom, have replaced
inetd and /etc/inetd.conf with xinetd, /etc/xinetd.conf, and /etc/xinetd.d/.
The ADDE remote server installation routine mcinst7.7.sh knows nothing
about this.  I will have to jump on it as time allows in the next couple
of weeks.

>Todd Smith from CIRA has sent me a
>copy of RAMSDIS for NT which I plan to install soon and try out. I have been
>doing some work with Tony Mostek (& Tom Whittaker) who is just across the
>corridor from you I believe.

Tony is across the street, but very close.  It seems to me that you should
angle for a trip out to do some collaborative work with COMET. That way,
you would be in Boulder where we could repay your hospitality while we
were in Melbourne.

>Apart from your message via James for me to drop you a line I am writing to
>you about a McIDAS 7.7 on linux question. We think we have hit a big endian
>/ little endian problem with navigation of GMS5 images accessed as local
>data rather than remote data. If we do an IMGDISP /ALT D / ALT E / MAP from
>a local GMS5 dataset of the whole disc, ie not remapped then the earth
>navigation doesn't seem to be there, symptoms: can't overlay a MAP over the
>whole disc image, ALT E will give line and ele info but not lat / lon,
>IMGLIST will not give centre lat lon but same image okay on other OS
>systems, can't do imgdisp with STA= or LATLON=, when you do an IMGREMAP the
>dest image is navigated but there is no data. As noted if the same image is
>available as a remote image then everything seems okay. So my question has
>several parts
>
>1) have you struck anything like this with GOES whole disk images?

I have run into some apparent big-endian/little-endian problems when
trying to serve certain files locally off of a little-endian machine,
but they were not whole earth images.  I am stuck with the impression
tht the problem was related to multibanded images.  I have run into
this problem twice during training workshops, and have never taken
the time to find and fix the problem.

>2) can you suggest who I should talk to at Madison about this? Given it is a
>linux issue I am not sure how the MUG might respond. I guess it is a Dave
>Santek / John Bedson sort of question but thought you may know of one of the
>mcidas programmers interested in linux who is also across the sat nav stuff.

I would send it into the MUG as I don't think it has anything to do
with Linux per se.  The first time I ran into my problem I was running
from a Solaris x86 box.

>3) do you have any idea of the differences between loading an image held
>locally and one remotely as far as providing the navigation to the frame
>directory etc.

An ALT-E is done locally from information out of the frame directory.
An ALT-D sends a request back to the server for information about data
values from the image itself.  I don't think that an ALT-D uses the
navigation information coming back from the server, but I could be
wrong.

>I guess in the remote case the remote server reads the nav
>data out of the area header and passes it down to the client in ADDE stream

Basically, all server requests come back with the various image blocks:
header, nav, calibration if exists/asked for, auxiliary, comment cards.

>whilst in the local case the linux box is reading the nav header and then
>passing it to the client in ADDE speak (in this case the problem is in the
>reading of the nav block in the area header).

From the frame directory, FrameN.M.

>We will try TRACE=1 to see
>what the ADDE server is passing. Do you have any suggestions of where we
>would start to look for what might be causing the problem.

I would first find out if ALT-D is actually using the nav coming back
from the server.  If it is, then it must be calling a routine that is
doing two sets of swbyt4s instead of one.

>The sleuth at
>this end will probably be Andrew Donaldson who has recently started to work
>in James group after a brief fling in the commercial IT world, he worked in
>the Sat Sect with Gerald before that.
>
>Any comments thoughts gratefully received

I will have to recreate the problem that I have seen in the past and try
and trace its origins down.  After that, I may have some comments, but,
then again, I may not.

I will get to your other two emails as soon as I crack a problem that I
have been chewing on for a couple of days.

Cheers.

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Dec 18 16:14:52 2000
>Subject: FW: A question re big endian / little endian

Hi Tom,

I meant to include you on this matter (for info really). So here it is

cheers
Jeff W