20001221: McIDAS X 7.7 on i386-linux

>From: Eirh-Yu Hsie <address@hidden>

Hsie,

>I try to install McIDAS X 7.7 on a 386-linux (Red Hat 6.2) machine.
>I can not get the Unidata Menu to work.  The error message on the text window
>is attached.

>            M c I D A S - X     V e r s i o n  7.700 Unidata 001130

This shows that you had not (yet) installed the upgrade that is available
in unix/770/bugfix/mcupdate.tar.Z, but that should not have anything to
do with the problem you are reporting.

>mcimage: number of graphics colors plus image colors cannot be more than 62.
>mcimage: Attempting to guess a good value
>mcimage: Using slow processing for Z-16 images

These three lines confuse me when taken together.  The reason is that you
are apparently running your X window session with a visual that is 16 bits.
This accounts for the "Using slow processing for Z-16 images" message.
It contradicts, however, the first message that the number of graphics colors
plus image colors cannot be more than 62.  I would have assumed that while
running in 16-bit mode, you would have plenty of colors left over to run
McIDAS.  What other applications were running when you tried starting McIDAS?

>MCMENU UNIDATA.MNU
>
>EG 11;SF 11;IMGDISP RTIMAGES/GE-VIS 11 LATLON=32 82 MAG=-2  EU=IMAGE SF=YES RE
> FRESH='M>
>Erased graphic frame(s) 11-11
>
>mcserv: invalid option -- R
>Usage is: mcserv [options] [-p portnum]
>options are:
>-d  become a daemon (sets -q)
>-q  quiet mode
>-v  verbose mode
>-p  to specify a port number to listen
>IMGDISP: Error in m0cxwrit                         system return code is  -1
>IMGDISP: Program called mcabort
>IMGDISP failed, rc=1

What is the output from DATALOC on this system?  If it is that RTIMAGES is
LOCAL-DATA, then what happens when you "point" at a remote ADDE server:

DATALOC ADD RTIMAGES ADDE.UCAR.EDU
EG 11;SF 11;IMGDISP RTIMAGES/GE-VIS 11 LATLON=32 82 MAG=-2  EU=IMAGE SF=YES

>hsielinux:[42]% env
>MCTABLE_READ=/home/hsie1/mcidas/data/MCTABLE.TXT:/export/home/mcidas/data/ADDE
> SITE.TXT
>MCDATA=/home/hsie1/mcidas/data
>PATH=/usr/kerberos/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/
> pgi/linux86/bin:/home/hsie1/bin:/export/home/mcidas/bin:.

OK, I think I may understand the problem.  What is the result of you running
a 'which mcserv' from your Unix prompt in this session?  It may be the case
that you are finding a routine called 'mcserv' that is in PATH before
/export/home/mcidas/bin.  If this is the case, you can do either of:

o remove the non-mcidas mcserv module (as root)
o change your PATH to look like:

PATH=/export/home/mcidas/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/pgi/linux86/bin:/home/hsie1/bin:.

(i.e., put the 'mcidas' bin directory befoer all others in your PATH.

>MCPATH=/home/hsie1/mcidas/data:/export/home/mcidas/data:/export/home/mcidas/he
> lpUSER=hsie1
>MCGUI=/export/home/mcidas/bin
>MCTABLE_WRITE=/home/hsie1/mcidas/data/MCTABLE.TXT

The settings for MCDATA, MCPATH, MCGUI, MCTABLE_READ and MCTABLE_WRITE
all look correct.  I am betting that your problem is you finding a non-mcidas
'mcserv'.

Tom