20010103: NIDS.CFG and control keys in McIDAS

>From: "Thomas L. Mote" <address@hidden>

Tom,

>I have a whole new set of unrelated questions ;-) Now that
>I am ingesting the NIDS data, I want to make sure I get the
>NIDS.CFG correct for ADDE.

I saw that Chiz told you that the NIDS images are still encrypted,
so I will not go into that here.

>I am ingesting data in a
>directory structure that looks like the following:
>
>/data/nexrad/NIDS/FFC/N0R/N0R_20010103_2234

OK, looks good.

>(I may create links to names like BREF1 to make it
>easier for students.) Would the following be correct:
>
>DIRMASK=/data/nexrad/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/*
>FILEMASK=/\TYPE_*
>IPMASK=*

This is almost correct.  The settings would be:

DIRMASK=/data/nexrad/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/
FILEMASK=/\TYPE_*
IPMASK=*

The difference is the removal of the trailing '*' on the end of the DIRMASK
line.

>ALSO, when I tried to use the function key menu to access
>the imagery, I get rather odd behavior with the CF1-CF4
>combinations. (I don't know if this will even work since it
>is for the WSI imagery. I don't know if that's the same as
>is coming across NOAAport.)

It will work if the dataset names you setup match what the Fkey
menu system is using.

>Anyway, CF4 kills McIDAS or
>swtiches me to a new desktop. CF1 seems to bring up a
>floater image. I'm guessing that these keys are defined in
>some file and need to be changed. CF12 works fine.

This is due to your window manager interpreting those function keys.
You need to modify your window mannager setup to not use the function
keys used by the Fkey menu (basically all A, F, S, and C Fnn
combinations).  I did this on my RedHat Linux system at home for Gnome
quite awhile back, so I know that it is possible.

>I noticed some discussion of the function keys for Solaris,
>AIX, etc. Again, I'm running RedHat 7. I'm using the KDE
>for my environment. Has anyone mentioned this problem?

I know that it is a problem in Gnome 'cause I ran into it.  Since I
havn't done the same for KDE, I can't give you a roadmap of what to do
to fix the problem; sorry.

>Thanks again.

Later...

Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Jan  3 17:01:22 2001
>Subject: Re: 20010103: NIDS.CFG and control keys in McIDAS

re: The difference is the removal of the trailing '*' on the end of the
DIRMASK line.

>Well, I'm getting closer every time.

re: function keys causing strange behavior in Fkey menu related to window
manager using those keys