20010117: NOAAPORT NIDS question

>From: "Hoeth, Brian" <address@hidden>

Brian,

>Based on the email below, I was assuming that the IMGDISP and IMGLIST
>commands released in the McIDAS-X 7.704 would be able to handle the
>additional data that we need to get from the NWS Central Server.  I ftp'd
>some data from the NWS and was unable to get things to work?

I had previously told Bryan Batson that I would see to it that my server
code (the code that is in the SSEC 7.704 Fastrack) would work with
data files FTPed from the NWS Central Server IF he would send me some
examples.  Since I never got any (and was totally overloaded to the point
of not being able to cut through the red tape to get some myself), the
compatibility was never tested.

>I've attached a sample file for reference.

Excellent!  I will dig into the incompatibility/failure when I get back to
Boulder (I am currently at the AMS meeting in Albuquerque).

>Here's the header info from the
>sample file (it's a Layer Composite Reflectivity Maximum (low level) file
>for HGX from 1458Z from today):
>
>SDUS64 KHGX 171458
>NLLHGX
>
>Based on intuitive reasoning, I created a subdirectory
>/home/mcidas/data/nids/HGX/NLL and placed the file (renamed
>hgx_20010117_1458.nll) into the subdirectory.  Then, I added a new dataset
>name based on the logic in NEXRAD.BAT:
>
>TE NEXRDATA "/home/mcidas/data/nids
>DSSERVE ADD NEXRAD/CREFMXLO NEXR TYPE=IMAGE RT=Y DIR='#NEXRDATA/\ID/NLL/*'
>"Layer Composite Reflectivity Maximum - low level"
>
>If I try an IMGLIST NEXRAD/CREFMXLO ID=LIST, I get the error message:
>
>"There are no images that meet the selection criteria"
>
>What am I missing??

Maybe nothing. It may be that the internals of the product header are
enough different from that in NOAAORT that the server is not recoginizing
them.  This is what I have to check on when I get back.

>FYI ... I CAN see the dataset (i.e. CREFMXLO shows up in the list when I do
>a DSINFO IMAGE NEXRAD).

This only means that there is an entry in RESOLV.SRV.

>One thing I DID notice is that the data that I get from the NOAAPORT stream
>seems to have an additional line of info in the header and it has SDUS54
>instead of SDUS64

OK, thanks for the observation.  The SDUS54 vs SDUS64 should have nothing
to do with the failure as this information is ignored by the server.

>(here's an example of header info from a base reflectivity
>file from yesterday):
>
>129
>SDUS54 KHGX 162214
>N0RHGX
>
>Could this be the problem??

I don't think so.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden Thu Jan 18 23:27:28 2001
>Subject: RE: 20010117: NOAAPORT NIDS question

Thanks Tom!  I know you've been working hard on all of this and we
appreciate it.  Hope you're having/had fun in Albuquerque.

Brian