20010202: PATH for batch.k on Linux needs /bin

Tom,

First of all, you can disregard my last message concerning not getting
MDX files updated. It was due to my not fully setting up  the mcidas
account correctly on storm2. I had done it before I had this stuff
``figured out''.

Secondly, I want to tell you of a story with a happy ending, so to
speak. I spent a good part of yesterday trying to figure out why all
the postprocessing (GE-VIS.BAT etc.) wasn't being exectued with the LDM
on storm2. I was positive I had the routing set up correctly, paths
correct, and it was driving me nuts.

So this morning I took a fresh look at it with a few cups of coffee even
though I told my wife I'd "relax" today away from the computer (this was
making me grumpy).

I carefully went through the sequence of events of setting up the mcidas
account, and started looking more closely at the way xcd_run and batch.k
files were set up in the /home/ldm/decoders directory.

Noticing that the $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and $PATH entries were assuming a Sun
architecture, I modified them to be Linux-like. In doing so, I noticed
that $PATH in batch.k did not contain /bin, which I would have thought
would have been included in a Sun setup, so I added it.

I then noticed that the tried and true ancient sed command was being
used to change the uppercase BATCH command to batch.k where the final
batch command was being executed.

Guess where sed lives on a Linux machine? /bin. Guess where sed lives on
a Solaris machine? /usr/bin!

So after adding /bin to $PATH things worked. You might want to add /bin
to $PATH in batch.k just so us Linux folks don't get bit by this! Or was
this in the docs somewhere?

Anyway, I think FINALLY I have got mcidas, mcidas-x, the decoders and
ldm working correctly. I no longer run ldm on the Solaris machine
vortex, it's now on the Linux machine storm2.atms.unca.edu which doubles
as a mcidas-x terminal for students. Two other Linux machines NFS mount
storm2 to run mcidas-x...  NFS isn't so bad when host and client on the
same switch.

So with any luck I won't be bothering you too much (cue ominous
foreshadowing music) now that things are running well. Thanks for all
your help.

Leigh