20010131: Problem with areafile when using aamap/imgremap, McIDAS 7.6

Tom,
        Here is an interesting problem.  I'm remapping AREA files of NIDS
data that were created by nids2area to create a country composite.  I
remap the images (either aamap or imgremap) into LAMB and add the AUX info
via the now defunct(?) aux command.  The images display fine, and the BAR
command puts a color bar on the screen with McIDAS.  However, when I
attempt to view the image using gempak/garp, I get just white and black(1
bit color depth).  The color bar also works.  Using AAMAP/IMGREMAP with
satellite images and viewing via Gempak works fine so it appears to be
something with AAMAP/IMGREMAP and/or Gempak since I've verified that the
AREA file created by nids2area is okay.  Both Gempak and McIDAS can
display that.
        I'm guessing that you'll tell me to use McIDAS 7.7 to decode NIDS,
but I am unable because of all my legacy .MCB files and .BAT files written
over the years break with 7.7.  Thanks in advance for your always
excellent help.

Mike

Oh, the image is the final product of all the NIDS files glued together
(using MC).

--
Mike Leuthold
Atmospheric Sciences/Institute of Atmospheric Physics

>From address@hidden Wed Jan 31 14:11:05 2001
>Subject: Problem with areafile when using aamap/imgremap, McIDAS 7.6

Please disregard.  I think I found the problem (not updating the ASCII
part of the area file) and the solution (change the gempak imgtyp.tbl to
use values between 0 and 255).
Mike