20010208: 20010201: remapping images in McIDAS-X

>From: address@hidden (Chris Hennon)

Chris,

I can't remember if we touched base on this small point, but since most
new users don't figure it out, I figured that I would send along the
following:

The default size of image frames created after the first time a user
runs 'mcidas' is 480x640.  This size is, however, configurable on a
per-user basis.  The first time a user runs a McIDAS-X session, the
file .mcidasrc is created in his/her home directory.  S/he can edit
this file and change the frame specification flag, -f, to start
sessions with fewer/more frames and frames of varying size.  I
typically use a setting of:

-f 17@600x800

while working from home (DSL is sweet!) and:

-f 17@720x960

while at work.

If you havn't already tried varying the size of the frames in your
session you should give this a whirl.  Viewing images in a larger frame
is like seeing satellite imagery for the first time :-)

The other way you can start McIDAS is through my GUI startup.  This is
easily done by:

mcidas config

In the GUI, you can specify how many frames you want and their size.
You can also start the Unidata MCGUI to McIDAS-X.  This is done by
clicking the radiobutton marked MCGUI near the bottom of the startup
GUI.  One caution, however, MCGUI has not been ADDEized yet.  Another
thing to note if you do play with the MCGUI is the button at the top of
the MCGUI with a keyboard icon (some say "what keyboard icon") will
start on of three command modes:  MCGUI command mode; the regular
McIDAS command mode; and an auxiliary MCGUI command mode.  Which one is
started depends on which button you use while clicking on icon:

button 1 -> MCGUI Command Mode - where all MCGUI commands are echoed and
            accessible

button 2 -> McIDAS Command and Text window

button 3 -> auxiliary MCGUI command mode.  This one is a separate instance
            of 'mcwish', so the MCGUI commands are not echoed here.

One gotcha with MCGUI.  It requires that SYSKEY.TAB be accessible (either
by a file REDIRECTion or though MCPATH) and be readable.

Like I said in a previous email, there is lots of stuff about McIDAS
that is not immediately obvious.  And, the really nice thing about
McIDAS is the transparent access to remote datasets.  All you have to
know is who is serving a particular dataset (and not blocked access to
it); the name of the dataset; and the machine hosting the dataset.
After that, access to the data in that set is as close as a DATALOC
away.

Just thought I'd pass this along....

Tom