20010223: netCDF files and mcidas 7.7 (cont.)

>From: Rob Petrini <address@hidden>

Rob,

I really must apologize for not having had the time to look into
your problem serving netCDF grid files through ADDE.  Since  McIDAS
support and development at Unidata is _me_, I have very few spare
cycles anymore (sigh).

>The three UNIDATA data files I mentioned last time, ncdc_lo_precip.nc,
>slp.2000.nc, t0n155w_dy.nc I downloaded from UNIDATA's web site (I'm
>pretty sure of this although I can't find them now or am navigating in the
>wrong spot).

I asked around in Unidata, and nobody recognizes these file names.
A search of our web and ftp sites does not reveal these files either,
so I have to conclude you did grab these files from us.

>I wanted to test whether I could at least get some sensible output
>from them using the configuration files that were furnished with
>SSEC McIDAS 7.7.

I believe that the netcdfgrid.cfg file is meant to be an example
of how to setup a configuration file for the netCDF ADDE subserver.

>I managed on that occasion at least to get a lot
>further that I had previously tried. From my last email, the tests
>failed with a "grid type/map name" error.

OK.

>The two netCDF files that were produced locally and given to me
>to test didn't get very far when I tried to view them in McIDAS.
>Hence why I downloaded the above.

I understand, but I can not find those files on our server.

>I have put our locally produced files on my anonymous ftp server,
>radaraifs.ho.bom.gov.au (134.178.8.166) in pub/incoming/Ournetcdffiles,
>if they are needed.

I have tried on several occasions to FTP to radaraifs.ho.bom.gov.au, but
it looks like that machine is not accessible from here.  On one occasion
where I was unable to FTP to radaraifs.ho.bom.gov.au. I was successful
in FTPing to servb.ho.bom.gov.au.  It may be that radaraifs.ho.bom.gov.au
has not been setup to allow Unidata machines to access it.

>To get the parameters to UNIDATA's files, I viewed them with the Java
>ncBrowser, and plugged the results in the configuration file, then
>ran the McIDAS command.

OK, I use the ncdump routine that gets built with McIDAS-X.

>I hope this helps.

As soon as I can get one or more of the files that you have been
unsuccessful with, I will see if I can generate a netCDF ADDE configuration
file that will allow me to use it.   Please let me know how/when I
can get access to netCDF files that you produced locally, so I can
work on the same thing as you.

>Thanks again

Sorry for the delays...

Tom Yoksas