20010306: a little more on nexrad radar & mcidas (cont.)

>From: alan anderson <address@hidden>

Alan,

>Are there any other sites that archive data from Nexrad radars
>besides NCDC?

If you mean non-university sites, then I don't know.

>Do individual sites maintain their own archive?

I know that some sites do maintain archives of the NIDS/NEXRAD Level III
products.  To see who might have data you are looking for, first
subscribe to address@hidden through the following web page:

(you have to be a member of a Unidata-maintained email list before
you can post to it)

and then send a request for the data you are looking for to the list.

If you are looking for data that is less than two weeks old, then
you can get it using McIDAS and ADDE from adde.ucar.edu.  The
NEXRAD Level III product data is accessible through two datasets:

RTNEXRAD -> all NEXRAD Level III products for all NEXRADs for the current
            day

NEXRALL  -> all NEXRAD Level III products for all NEXRADs for the past
            15 days

>I have emailed the NCDC contact in this matter, and am waiting
>for a response.  I assume they have the data in image format, but
>at my age, its easy to assume.

Again, we are talking about separate products here: the digital
precipitation array product, and the Storm Total Precipitation
product.  NCDC should have both (actually, I think they have everything
including products that are not in the NOAAPORT broadcast and a number
that are not distributed by the NIDS vendors.  Eventually, there will
be something like 80 different products for each NEXRAD!

>I really do not know what they have.

I am pretty sure that they have pretty much everything you could want.

Tom