20010516: NEXRAD data

>From: "Wayne Bresky" <address@hidden>

Wayne,

>I came across this while reading up on LDM-McIDAS:
>
>Decoder that should be replaced by use of the Unidata McIDAS-X 7.60
>NIDS/NOWrad (tm) ADDE servers.
>
>nids2area - decoder for WSI NIDS products
>
>Does this mean I should be accessing the NEXRAD data from UCAR via an ADDE
>server (as opposed to decoding the data that comes across on the IDD)?

No, although the NEXRAD data is accessible via ADDE from UCAR
(motherlode/ adde.ucar.edu).  It is also publically accessible from
several other machines that are hosting ADDE remote servers across the
country.  The Unidata McIDAS-X 7.705 upgrade that I just announced
yesterday (to the mcidas-x email list; are you on it?) has an interface
built in that allows one to select from this list of servers for a
variety of data.

The comment was intended to mean that if you are getting NEXRAD data
via either the IDD or from WSI, you can serve it using ADDE from your
own machine.  The point was that the need to convert the images into
McIDAS AREA format is gone.  McIDAS can use the imagery directly using
ADDE.

It sounds like you are under the impression that ADDE access to data
only works when going to a remote site.  This is not true.  ADDE can be
used on local data; data served through the remote server on a local
machine; and long haul from remote servers accessible by tcp/ip
ethernet.  If you are unsure about how to set things up, please let me
know and we can work through your setup together.

>Sorry to bother you with this, but I figured you could answer this before I
>could track down an answer on my own.

No problem.  Asking is much better than wasting time.

>Thanks.

Please let me know if I can help you setup your own machine for ADDE
serving.

Tom