20010516: McIDAS-X 7.7 build problems (cont.)

>From: Jason Law <address@hidden>

Jason,

>       I'm back.  Now that my environment is set up correctly, I went
>through the unpacking and set up again.  Everything seemed to unpack okay,
>but after changing to the ~mcidas7.7/src directory and running 'make mcx'
>I get the following:
>
>pele 13% make mcx
>cd ../netcdf && \
>                 sh configure --prefix=/home/pele1/mcidas
>creating cache ./config.cache
>checking for m4... m4
>checking for xlc... no
>checking for c89... no
>checking for acc... no
>checking for cc... cc
>checking C compiler... configure: error: cc failed to compile test program
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `../netcdf/config.status'
>
>Any suggestions?

I logged on and did a:

which cc

and got:

/usr/ucb/cc

This is the non-ANSI C compiler that is distributed with Solaris SPARC.
You need the ANSI C compiler that is part of the Sun Development
environment.

In trying to trace down why you were not finding the correct cc, I
modified the path setting in your .cshrc file.  Since I still get
/usr/ucb/cc from the which command above, I decided to look at the
contents of /opt/SUNWspro/bin...  I found that it is empty.

So, the question back to you is where is the ANSI C compiler to be found?
Also, along the exact same lines, where is the Fortran compiler?  How
do you combile Fortran programs other than McIDAS?

which f77

returns nothing.

Is the Sun development environment supposed to have been installed?  If so,
where? If not, do you have gcc and f2c?  (f2c converts Fortran source to C
code and then gcc is used to compile).

Your PATH settings may be correct, but until your session can find
the needed compilers, you will not be able to build McIDAS.

Tom