20010706: vis5d install problem (cont.)

>From: Anthony James Wimmers <address@hidden>

Tony,

>Each of the two options for installing from the downloaded
>files give me the same error:
>
>barb: /home/mcidas $ sh ./vis5d-5.0.sh -v make
>./vis5d-5.0.sh: ERROR: vis5d-5.0.sp did not set src_kb
>barb: /home/mcidas $ sh ./vis5d-5.0.sh make
>./vis5d-5.0.sh: ERROR: vis5d-5.0.sp did not set src_kb
>
>Could you explain?

vis5d-5.0.sp sets two environment variables that will be used to check to see
if you have enough disk space.  These environment variables are set on a
per OS basis.  If the OS you are attempting to do this from is not in
the list that is checked, then you will get the error you are seeing.

I am assuming that you are attempting the install on Linux, and Linux
is not included in the list of OSes that are checked by vis5d-5.0.sp:

  #!/bin/sh

  #-------
  # Set space requirements for mcinst.sh
  #
  # We do this by setting the variables src_kb and gen_kb appropriately.
  #
  # src_kb        the number of kilobytes of disk space required
  #               to unpack the tar file
  #
  # gen_kb        the number of kilobytes of disk space required
  #               (beyond src_kb) to build (generate) the package
  #-------

  case `uname -s` in
  HP-UX)  # vis5d-5.0
          src_kb=20793
          gen_kb=10377
          ;;
  AIX)    # vis5d-5.0
          src_kb=19149
          gen_kb=13080
          ;;
  IRIX)   # vis5d-5.0
          src_kb=19003
          gen_kb=8217
          ;;
  IRIX64) # vis5d-5.0
          src_kb=19003
          gen_kb=8209
          ;;
  SunOS)
          # vis5d-5.0
          src_kb=19340
          gen_kb=9005
          ;;
  esac

What I would do is edit vis5d-5.0.sp and add one more section to the
list of OSes to check:

change:

  SunOS)
          # vis5d-5.0
          src_kb=19340
          gen_kb=9005
          ;;
  esac

to:

  SunOS)
          # vis5d-5.0
          src_kb=19340
          gen_kb=9005
          ;;
  *)
          # vis5d-5.0
          src_kb=20793
          gen_kb=13080
          ;;
  esac

This addition should set the upper limits for an OS not in the list.

Tom