20010805: Problems at UPRM (cont.)

>From: Unidata Mcidas Account <address@hidden>

Luis,

>   Hi.  Now that I finished with my other summer work, I can now focus
>completely on getting all these things working perfectly again.  I once
>again read carefully all the emails you have sent me.  I got McIDAS to
>display images like you had instructed me in your previous email.  I tried
>to get the images from the GINI set, but I had no luck.  I first from
>within mcidas typed <DATALOC ADD GINICOMP machine.edu> but when I tried
>the <DATALOC LIST> command, the output showed that all the sets were
>being looked up as local data.  When that didn't work, I tried the
>second thing you had suggested.  I backed up then edited the LOCDATA.BAT
>file.  After running the batch command on it, I tried again <DATALOC LIST>
>and got the same result.  After messing around with that for a while I
>remembered I had once edited the ADDESITE.TXT file, and when I opened it I
>noticed all the data sets were pointing to <local data>.  I'm not sure if
>that's normal or if it's something I edited while trying to make all the
>ldm+mcidas stuff work.

This is not normal.

>Following the general pattern in the file, I added
>an entry for the three GINI sets(are those called sets??),

I have never directly edited the client routing tables, so I can't tell
you if this is bad or good.

>after restarting
>McIDAS,

Changing the client routing tables does not require a stop and restart
of McIDAS.

>I got what I suppose should be the right output from the <DATALOC
>LIST> command.  But then I tried the other commands <DSINFO I GINIEAST>
>and it found no images, it actually said it couldn't find the local
>interface module.  I got the same error when trying the IMGDISP command at
>the end of your last email(quoted here).

This is telling us that things are not correct.

I logged onto atmos and did the following:

o after noticing from a listing of the environment for 'mcidas' that the
  settings for MCTABLE_READ and MCTABLE_WRITE were not correct ($MCDATA
  was not getting expanded into /home/mcidas/workdata and $MCHOME was
  not getting expanded into /home/mcidas, and MCTABLE_WRITE was pointing
  to $MCHOME/data/MCTABLE.TXT instead of $MCHOME/data/ADDESITE.TXT),
  I edited ~mcidas/.profile and changed the entries for MCTABLE_READ
  and MCTABLE_WRITE

o since I had never directly edited ADDESITE.TXT, and not knowing whether
  or not the program would care if the entries were in lower case,
  I deleted ~mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT and then recreated it with:

  BATCH LOCDATA.BAT

After making the above changes, I can do the DSINFO and IMGLIST commands
I sent you last time:

DSINFO I GINIEAST
IMGLIST GINIEAST/GE1KVIS

So, you should go back and retry the commands I sent you in the previous
email.

>   On a lighter note, I now perfectly understand how the decoders work and
>how mcidas changes the area files into png's.

Actually, McIDAS does not know about PNG compression.  The ldm-mcidas
routine area2png will compress an AREA to a PNG file, and pnga2area
will uncompress a PNG file created by area2png back into an AREA file.

>My next question was going
>to be about area files and what each area file contained, but I ran the
><ROUTE> command and I think I got a pretty good explanation.  I'll be
>going through the tutorials soon.

The best way to learn what an AREA file contains is to list its contents
with an IMGLIST command.  For example:

IMGLIST GINIEAST/GPR1KVIS
IMGLIST GINIEAST/GPR1KVIS FORM=EXP

>   While reading through your recent emails, I fully noticed how helpful
>you have been.  Once again thank you for all your help.

You are welcome.  I think you should be on your way now.

Tom