20010822: obsrpt problems while accessing adde.ucar.edu

>From: Christian Page <address@hidden>

Christian,

>I did installed successfully and smoothly McIDAS 7.80.

Very good.

>I have one more question:
>
>I try to use (it didn't work in 7.70 neither) OBSRPT to display some data
>without success.
>
>I get:
>
>obsrpt.k RTWXTEXT/SYNOPTIC ID=07630
>obsrpt.k: Source pointer file is missing on server
>obsrpt.k: Error getting data from server
>obsrpt.k: done

Hmm...  I see from below that you were sending the request to adde.ucar.edu.
I verified your OBSRPT failure there, but am able to get the listing
I want from a different server in the list of cooperating servers,
papagayo.unl.edu.

Did you try opening a McIDAS session using the GUI startup:

mcidas config

Select the MCGUI radiobutton and that you want to save the startup
values so the MCGUI will start automatically each time you type 'mcidas'
in the future.

With the MCGUI, you can change the server you are pointing to for the
TEXT data from two places:

o the button on first row of buttons that has two computers, one on top
  of the other.  This is the button just to the left of the Z button
  (Z for zoom)

o click the left mouse button over the Configure menu at the top of
  the MCGUI and then select ADDE Dataset Locations

In both cases, a widget pops up that allows you to select from a set
of cooperating servers for each major data type: GRID, IMAGE, POINT,
and TEXT.  Simply click on the TEXT tab and then click on the down
arrow and select a different ADDE server.  After doing that, retry
your OBSRPT invocation.

>If I list my ADDE config:
>
>        Dataset Names of Type: TEXT  in Group: RTWXTEXT
>
>Name         NumPos   Content
>------------ ------   --------------------------------------
>FOUS14           1    Real-Time FOUS14 Text
>SFCHOURLY        1    Real-Time SFC Hourly Text
>SYNOPTIC         1    Real-Time SYNOPTIC Text
>TERMFCST         1    Real-Time Terminal Forecast
>UPPERAIR         1    Real-Time Upper Air Text
>
>And:
>
>dataloc.k
>
>Group Name                    Server IP Address
>--------------------         ----------------------------------------
>BLIZZARD                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>CIMSS                        ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>GINICOMP                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>GINIEAST                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>GINIWEST                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>ME7                          IO.SCA.UQAM.CA
>MYDATA                       <LOCAL-DATA>
>RTGINI                       ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>RTGRIDS                      ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>RTIMAGES                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>RTNEXRAD                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>RTNIDS                       ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>RTNOWRAD                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>RTPTSRC                      ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>RTWXTEXT                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>TOPO                         <LOCAL-DATA>
>ULY                          129.82.108.178
>WNEXRAD                      <LOCAL-DATA>
>WNOWRAD                      <LOCAL-DATA>
>
><LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data
>directory.
>DATALOC -- done

Try pointing to papagayo.unl.edu.

>What am I missing?

Nothing, the problem is on the server.

>And what is the diff between GINIEAST and RTGINI?

RTGINI is the union of GINICOMP, GINIEAST, and GINIWEST.  Since ADDE
DATALOC settings are by dataset group name, and since one might want
to access GOES-East GINI data from a different server than GOES-West
GINI data, I split up RTGINI into three subsets.  Now, they are
individually addressable.

>Thanks,

Talk to you later...

Tom