20010823: McGUI mapping problem with unpatched argcmd.c

>From: David Fitzgerald <address@hidden>

Dave,

>I recently installed McIDAS 7.800.  When using MCGUI I am not getting any
>maps or color bars on my images even though those options are chosen under
>the custom menu, however I can get maps to load from the command line after
>the image loads.  My users are very GUI oriented and I'd like to fix this
>before Monday when they all come back for classes.
>Is this something easy to fix... I hope!

If you grab the update I sent a message about yesterday, your MAP problem
will go away.  The other way to address this problem is to update entry
15 in the System Key Table.  This word controls whether or not keywords
will be verified for each McIDAS invocation.  SSEC uses this approach,
but we don't.  I made the mistake in the original version of my distribution
of not coding around this "feature".  The fix in argcmd.c, which is
one of the two routines included in mcupdate.tar.Z, includes the
workaround.

To test things out quickly, you can do the following as the user 'mcidas':

<login as 'mcidas'>
<start a McIDAS-X 7.80 session>

- make sure that your session is pointing at the copy of SYSKEY.TAB that
  is being updated by your XCD and ldm-mcidas decoders:

  DMAP SYSKEY.TAB

  If you are NOT pointing at that copy of SYSKEY.TAB, setup a file
  REDIRECTion to do so:

  REDIRECT ADD SYSKEY.TAB "whatever_directory_SYSKEY.TAB_lives_in

- change word 15 in SYSKEY.TAB to 1:

  SYSVAL CHANGE 15 1

After making the above change, the MAP plotting from the MCGUI will work
as designed.

Each user's account should automatically take advantage of the change you
just made by virtue of their account having been setup (by you) at some
point to include a file REDIRECTion that points at that copy of SYSKEY.TAB.
If they don't have such a REDIRECTion, things should still work since
they session should find the copy of SYSKEY.TAB included in the 7.80
distribution.  This copy already has the proper value set for word 15.

>Thanks in advance!

Again, just to make sure that I am being clear...  Rebuilding using
the patched argcmd.c routine included in the Addendum file mcupdate.tar.Z
will cure the MCGUI MAP problem.  If you don't install that Addendum as
per the instructions sent yesterday, you will need to change word 15
of SYSKEY.TAB as per the instructions above.

Please let me know if things don't work correctly after you have made one
or both of the fixes.

Tom