20010822: Unidata McIDAS-X 7.80 build/install at NIU

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

>Just got your memo on McIDAS 7.80. Could you do me a really big favor? I
>have my login and password, and I downloaded all the necessry stuff into
>/home/mcidas. Is there any chance you could do a quick install for me?

It is building as I write this.

>I downloaded the directions, and realized this was NOT going to be hard,
>much less easy!

Right, it is a piece of cake :-)

>Of interest to you would be the latest kernel on my
>machine, which might help that upper air problem...we'll see. Redhat came
>out with it not too long ago...so we will see. All Redhat 7.1 bugfixes
>and patches are on my machine, weather.admin.niu.edu.

OK, it will be an interesting test if nothing else.

>Note also, my
>physical address routes to the Environmental Health And Safety department,
>but I still work for the physical plant. It's a weird setup.

OK.

>If there is any chance you could so this, I would be very grateful! The
>logins/passwords are as follows:

OK, thanks.

>If you need to reboot the machine, do so; just type:

Thanks.  I don't anticipate needing a reboot, but it is helpful just in case.

>When you are done from the LDM account. Thanks!

I will let you know when things are finished being upgraded.

Tom