20010918: McIDAS 7.801 and eXceed 7.0 under Windows 2000

>From: Rita Edwards <address@hidden>

Rita (with CC to John and Duane of Hummingbird),

Sorry for not being able to get to this before today.

>I have upgraded to McIDAS 7.801 on a SGI running IRIX 6.5.5.
>When I upgraded, I have killed my user's Exceed connection.  She
>is running Windows 2000, service pack 2.  Her PC has a NVIDIA GeForce2
>MX 4X AGP graphics card. She is using Hummingbird
>Exceed 7.0.  If the PC is in normal mode, the McIDAS graphics window
>is orphaned.  After suching the FAQs, we have tried putting the \
>PC in 256 color video mode, but the colors are off, and the windows
>"flash."   This PC was working with McIDAS 7.5.
>
>Any clues on what I can do?

Check if you see any change after specifying the -displayVisualMode
flag in your .mcidasrc file.  I would add this to the very bottom of
the copy of .mcidasrc in your user's HOME directory. After making
the addition, have her stop and restart her McIDAS-X session (make
sure that all McIDAS processes have exited before starting the
new session).  For this test, run eXceed in something other than
8-bit mode.

The -displayVisualMode flag in .mcidasrc will cause McIDAS to use the
default X Windows visual instead of forcing a use of an 8-bit
pseudocolor visual.

>Thanks for the help,

Please let me know the results of the addition of -displayVisualMode
for your user.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden Thu Sep 20 12:33:46 2001
>CC: address@hidden,
>   Duane Fernandes <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20010918: McIDAS 7.801 and eXceed 7.0 under Windows 2000

Hi there,

Thanks for the great support!!
The -displayVisualMode flag worked like a champ.

Thanks again,
Rita Edwards

>From address@hidden Thu Sep 20 12:18:00 2001
>Subject: RE: 20010918: McIDAS 7.801 and eXceed 7.0 under Windows 2000

Thank you for the reply. I am awaiting a response from Mr. Warthman on the
resolution. Thanks again.

>From address@hidden Thu Sep 20 06:52:04 2001
>Subject: Mcidas and Exceed 7.X

Hello,

This is Duane Fernandes from Hummingbird Technical Support. I have a client
who has upgraded multiple users to Mcidas 7.801. Their previous version of
Mcidas displayed fine through Exceed 7.0(Unix emulation) but with the new
upgrade there are display issues. As we do not have access to Mcidas have
any of your support team tested against Exceed 7.0? Is there an evaluation
copy available?

Thank you very much for your time.

Have a good day,

Duane Fernandes,