20011011: SFCCON contouring over user defined map; IMGDISP failing

>From: "Paul L. Sirvatka" <address@hidden>

Paul,

Sorry I couldn't get to this yesterday, but we have been in all day
meetings.

>I am not sure if there has been a fix to my previous problems, but now I
>am perplexed.

I have put a new addendum for Unidata McIDAS-X 7.8 out that includes the
fix for the SFCCON contouring problem that you found.  To update your
system, please look through (or have Dave B look through) the instructions
on updating McIDAS distributions in:

Unidata McIDAS-X 7.8 HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/780
  Hot Topics
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/780/hottopics.html
    Information on Addenda to McIDAS-X
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/780/mcx/addenda.html

The addendum proces is quick and easy, so you can get going with the
latest code updates with no pain.

>I had been running scripts on getting IR pix..and doing color
>manipulations. All of a sudden I cannot get them to work.
>
>Basically it is in IMGDISP whcih either does not display anything or if it
>is preceded by TIMEOUT I get:
>
>TIMEOUT 180 IMGDISP RTGINI/GE4kIR 1 STA=CLE SU=IRTEMP
>IMGDISP: done
>imgdisp.k returned error status
>TIMEOUT failed, RC=2
>
>Yet IMGDISP does not display anything.

First, if the command line you are running is exactly what you sent back,
then there is a typo:

RTGINI/GE4kIR  should be  RTGINI/GE4KIR

(the 'K' needs to be capitalized).

If that is not the problem, then the next thing I would verify is the
DATALOC of the machine you are requesting the imagery from:

DATALOC LIST

-- look for the RTGINI entry.

If this looks OK, then run 'DATALOC HOST' to refresh the server name/IP
address table information.

Next, in either case, switch from using RTGINI to using one of GINICOMP
(composite NOAAPORT imagery in GINI format), GINIEAST (GOES-East NOAAPORT
imagery in GINI format); or GINIWEST (GOES-West NOAAPORT imagery in GINI
format).  The reason for this is that by splitting the full set of
GINI imagery up into three different data sets, you can point to different
servers for the various components.  This would help distribute load
among the various cooperating servers that are making the data available
to the Uniata community.

>If I run the command as above wihtout the TIMEOUT it finishes but once
>again nothing is displayed.

Again, this could be the typo or a munged DATALOC address.

>The scripts are running on another machine (picard.cod.edu) and it is
>fine. But on weather.cod.edu it fails. It jsut started in the middle of a
>session.
>
>Puzzled beyond belief,

I am betting on the typo.

Please let me know if the above is not the solution to your problem

Tom