20011022: McIDAS-X 7.8 build failure on IRIX at Kwaj

>From:  Rick Kohrs <address@hidden>

Rick,

>Quick background:
>SGI indigo/2
>McIDAS 7.6 Compiled fine.
>McIDAS 7.8 fails when compiling attr.c (netcdf routine).
>Compiler and OS levels are the same as our SGI inhouse.
>
>Couple of things we have noticed:
>1) Core McIDAS builds do not show attr.c getting compiled.

Right.  attr.c is part of the netCDF portion of the McIDAS-X bundle.

>2) Dave Glowaki said the netcdf compile output would not show up in the
>   log.

It shouldn't show up in the makelog file, but it will scroll by on
the screen during the build.

>3) The log from Kwaj does show the compile.

Actually, the output you sent is what is being written to the screen
during the build.  It is not a snippit from makelog.

>I have requested a copy of attr.c from Kwaj.

I don't think that will be necessary.  I recommend that whoever is building
7.8 define the following in their environment _before_ starting the McIDAS
build (C shell syntax):

# Defines for netCDF build
setenv CC "/bin/cc -n32"
setenv CPPFLAGS -DNDEBUG
setenv CFLAGS -O
setenv FC "/bin/f77 -n32"
setenv FFLAGS -O
setenv CXX

The point is to use 'cc' not 'c89'.  The output from Kwaj below shows that
their build is using 'c89':

I have run into the exact same thing building on IRIX, and the solution is
always to specify the use of 'cc'.  The absolute easiest way to do this
is to set the CC environment variable as I have indicated.

The steps I would send to Kwaj at this point is:

<login as 'mcidas'>
<edit their shell specific environment definition file: .cshrc for C shell;
.profile or .kshrc for Korn shell; etc>
<make the changes active: . .profile for Bourne/Korn shell; source .cshrc
for C shell>
cd ~/mcidas7.8/src
make clobber
make