20011022: converting GINI format images to McIDAS AREA

>From: Kevin Thomas <address@hidden>

Kevin,

re: need to define MYDATA/IMAGES dataset
>Bingo!  That was the missing piece.

Super!

>I have one last problem.  How do I easily tell "imlist.k" and "imcopy.k" which
>specific file to use instead of the most recent?

Yes, there are a couple of ways of doing this:

o specify the file by dataset position number
o specify the file by DAY/TIME specification

The first option has the downside of having to list out the elements of
a dataset in order to know what images are in what positions.  The second
option has the advantage of allowing you to specify the image you want
from a specific DAY and TIME, or even the latest image from a range of
TIMEs for a particular DAY.

>The time doesn't seem to be
>hard with TIME=19:45 being 1945Z.  I'm trying to figure out the date, from
>what I see, it looks like a day number (today apparently is day 295).

McIDAS understands Julian day format.  For instance, October 22, 2001 can
be specified as 2001295.

>Is
>there a way to give the software a calendar date,

Yes.  McIDAS understands dates in a variety of formats.  To see the
possibilities run:

arghelp.k DATE

A quickie example:

imgcopy.k GINICAPS/GOES08VIS MYDATA/IMAGES.1234 SIZE=ALL DAY=2001/10/22
TIME=19:45

>or just give it the actual
>file name, rather than take the default of today?

No.  The ADDE abstraction moves one away from use of file names.  Instead,
one defines an ADDE dataset to be a set of things (like images) that exist
in files, and then one specifies the position in the set to access specific
elements.  Searching and sorting is done by modifier keyword specifiers
like DAY= and TIME=, like in the quickie example above.

>Thanks for your help.

You are welcome.

Tom

>From address@hidden Tue Oct 23 11:04:56 2001
>Subject: Re:  20011022: converting GINI format images to McIDAS AREA

>A quickie example:
>
>imgcopy.k GINICAPS/GOES08VIS MYDATA/IMAGES.1234 SIZE=ALL DAY=2001/10/22
>TIME=19:45

That was the final piece of magic that I need.  My scripts are now up and
running.

Thanks again for you quick help.

        Kevin W. Thomas
        University of Oklahoma