20011026: GINI conversion to AREA (cont.)

>From: Jason Levit <address@hidden>

Jason,

re: example remap sequenc from previous eamil
>Ok, I tried these commands, and they worked perfectly.

OK, good.

>However, when I tried
>them using our own GINI data and McIDAS data, I received the "The portion of
>the image requested does not exist" error.  So, for some reason, the GINI data
>we're receiving doesn't appear to contain what we need?  This is very
>strange!  Any more thoughts?  Thanks...

Did you ever setup the ADDE remote server on this machine?  If so, and
if you are not behind a firewall, I could access your data remotely
and "see what I can see".  If you havn't setup the ADDE remote server
(and this requires one step by 'root') and you want to, I can help.
The process is basically:

o login to the workstation as 'mcidas'
o create the file ~mcidas/.mcenv' using the instructions in the installation
  part of the Unidata McIDAS installation/configuration instructions
o have 'root' create the user 'mcadde'.  The HOME directory for 'mcadde'
  should be the same as the HOME directory for the user 'mcidas'.  'mcadde'
  should also be in the same group as 'mcidas'.
o have 'root' run:

  cd ~mcidas
  sh ./mcinet7.8.sh install mcadde

The above assumes that you are not using NIS/NIS+.  If you are, setting
up the ADDE remote server will require more work by 'root'.

After I get remote access to your data, I can investigate your data
more thoroughly.

If you do not want to setup the remote ADDE server (for instance you
are behind a firewall and your networking group will not enable ports
500 and 503), then putting one or more of your SPC and GINI files
out in a publically accessible FTP directory would allow me to
grab them and examine them here at Unidata.

Tom