20011101: IMGDISP problems (cont.)

>From: Giovanni Leoncini <address@hidden>

Giovanni,

>regarding my images, I was able to see ALL of them with ntl!!! graphics
>included!

Like I said before, I can not account for this.  You should not interpret
this to mean that NTL (GEMPAK) can correctly display images that McIDAS
can not.  Given that GEMPAK can not interrogate the images, it is not
using the full navigation model.

>and I realized that with mcidas I'm not able to display the
>entire image, (eg all 4 and 8 km) even with the R command. what should I
>do?

When one displays an image in McIDAS, only the pixels that are needed
to fill the frame in question are loaded.  In GEMPAK, the entire image
is loaded into memory and then X scales the view of the image
based on the size of the frame.  If you want to see the full areal
extent of any image in McIDAS, you need to load it with a "blowdown"
magnification factor.  For instance, if the image in MYDATA/IMAGES.2000
is 1024x1280 (LINes x ELEments), and your frame is 480x640, then
the command:

IMGDISP MYDATA/IMAGES.2000 LINELE=0 0 PLACE=ULEFT

Will only show first 480x640 lines x elements of the the upper left hand
corner of the image.  If you wanted to see the entire image extent,
you would use a MAG= factor:

IMGDISP MYDATA/IMAGES.1234 LINELE=0 0 PLACE=ULEFT MAG=-2

>my NPS contact and I had another interesting conversation, and it came out
>that he's not sure about the calibration of 1km VIS images and the LCDC2*
>ones are a sort of experiment, so I will NOT use any of those. You
>can stop working on them.

OK.

>I'm on a tight schedule for my thesis and I need to know if I'll be able
>to use those soon,

Which specifically?

>otherwise I'll have to get them somewhere else. Were
>you able to get something out of 'em? is there a way to "correct" the
>navigation blocks or make them mcidas readble with ntl?

Again, I am not sure of which images you are referring to.  As I pointed
out in my last email, I am able to view the VIS image you made available.
The other two I was not able to view since the navigation in them is
messed up.

>I look forward to hear from you, thanks a lot!!

Please let me know _exactly_ what image(s) you need to be able to look
at, and I will concentrate on it(them).

Tom