20011204: convert AREA files to HDF files

I work with McIDAS AREA files in IDL all the time. You may want to
visit...

http://www.cira.colostate.edu/special/csuidl/IDLMcIDAS.htm

One of my old read routines was posted on comp.lang.idl-pvwave....

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=McIDAS&hl=en&rnum=1&selm=332E1B8C.41C6
%40bom.gov.au

However, getting it into ENVI maybe a different issue. I considered
writing a short program to convert McIDAS area files into the ENVI
format -- 2-D array with a separate text file. It looks simple enough,
but I think the image needs to be reampped into a Mercator Projection so
you can get ENVI to navigate it for you.

If you can get the above code to read McIDAS AREA files into the IDL
part of ENVI, there are ENVI's programable features to get the image
data into the ENVI package, but it may take alot of work, unless you an
ENVI expert.

RSI has been working on a McIDAS input routine for ENVI. You may want
to check with them to see how far along they are with that.

Kelly Dean
Coordinator
Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, Colorado