20020104: LARGE GRID files in /home/data/mcidas

>From: "David B. Bukowski" <address@hidden>

Dave,

>what are the GRID???? files and how can i turn them off for NOW and then
>turn them back on later.

Hmm...  Since you did not have GRID decoding turned on before, they
should still have been turned off now.  Since they somehow got turned
on, it means that I have some investigating to do.  To answer your
specific question, however, the procedure is:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd workdata
decinfo.k SET DMGRID INACTIVE

I just did this exact procedure for you on weather.

>Cause right now its filling up the hard drive
>with 100 to 700 Mbyte files.

McIDAS decoded GRID files are BIG.  The total amount of disk space needed
to decode all model output is well over 1 GB per day.

>When we get the raid installed this would be
>ok.  But for now this is not goo.d

No problem.

>For when we have it running... what is
>the EXPECTED increase in HD usage.

Count on at least 1 GB for GRID data per day.

>I mean how much hard drive space are
>these GRID files gonna take up total probably.  SO i can plan out my
>logical drive setup for the RAID which i'm starting next week.

>p.s.  That elvis using up 100% was the result of crontab -e which is NOT
>supposed to be used on the system.  Found out it was gil :/  Thanks for
>pointing that out tom.

No worries.  It looked suspicious.

>havn't looked at the system load since then and u
>can see its been running since sunday on the
>http://weather.cod.edu/~mrtg/loadavg/   pages

OK.

Tom