20020110: McIDAS install at NIU (cont.)

>From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

>>Well, I have a "new" machine. weather2.admin.niu.edu. It's a P3 800 MHZ 40
>>GB pretty fast computer. And I like the disk space. :-)
>>
>>Anyway, a quick favor to ask of you, and you know what's coming.
>>Can you install McIDAS-X and XCD on there for me IF it's not too much
>>trouble?

I installed McIDAS-X 7.804 on weather2 yesterday afternoon:

o built and installed both McIDAS-X and McIDAS-XCD:

  I used gcc/g77 for the build (instead of gcc/f2c/mcfc).  In order to do
  this, I needed to modify ~mcidas/.cshrc to set the environment variables
  used in the netCDF portion of the build.

o configured XCD to write decoded files in /home/data/mcidas (all done as
  'mcidas'):

  o cp ~mcidas/workdata/ROUTE.SYS /home/data/mcidas
  o cp ~mcidas/data/SYSKEY.TAB /home/data/mcidas
  o cp ~mcidas/data/SCHEMA /home/data/mcidas
  o chmod 664 /home/data/mcidas/SCHEMA, SYSKEY.TAB, ROUTE.SYS
  o cd ~mcidas/data
    cp EXAMPLE.NAM LOCAL.NAM   and edit LOCAL.NAM to match NIU's setup
    cp DSSERVE.BAT LSSERVE.BAT and edit LSSERVE.BAT to match NIU's setup
    cp DATALOC.BAT LOCDATA.BAT and edit LOCDATA.BAT to match NIU's setup
  o cd ~mcidas/workdata
    cp NNEXRAD.CFG NIUNEXR.CFG and edit NIUNEXR.CFG to match NIU's setup
    cp NOWRAD.CFG NIUNOWR.CFG  and edit NIUNOWR.CFG to match NIU's setup
    cp GINI.CFG NIUGINI.CFG    for future expansion

    redirect.k REST LOCAL.NAM
    te.k XCDDATA \"/home/data/mcidas
    batch.k XCD.BAT
    batch.k XCDDEC.BAT
    batch.k LSSERVE.BAT
    batch.k LOCDATA.BAT
    decinfo.k SET DMGRID ACTIVE           <- turn on GRID decoding
    route.k REL C                         <- turn on GOES East/West compositing
    route.k REL N                         <- turn on GOES/topography compositing
    route.k SUS R                         <- turn off WSI NIDS convert to AREA
    route.k SUS US                        <- turn off archaic product

o setup the McIDAS ADDE remote server:

  o created ~mcidas/.mcenv  as per web page instructions
  o added mcserv and mccompress files to /etc/xinetd.d
  o commented out isakmp entries in /etc/services and added entries
    for mcserv and mccompress
  o uncommented the /etc/hosts.allow mcservsh entry (allow all requests)
  o sent a USR2 signal to the xinetd process to reread configuration files

o setup running of XCD from ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf:

  o chmod 775 /home/mcidas
  o uncommented 'exec xcd_run MONITOR'
  o created ~ldm/decoders
  o copied scripts to ~ldm/decoders: batch.k, xcd_run, mcscour.sh
  o FTPed ldm-mcidas-7.6.4 binaries from Unidata; put them in
    ~ldm/decoders using the runtime link structure that you were using
    on weather
  o uncommented ldm-mcidas and XCD entries in ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf
    ** I notice that you are not processing all of the DDPLUS|IDS
       data in your xcd_run pqact.conf entry for textual data.  This
       will mean that a good portion of data that could be processed
       by XCD will not be.  Since you may have choked down the processing
       on weather due to disk limitations, I _think_ that you may really
       want to open it up on weather2.  Given this, I commented out
       your old actions and setup new, unrestricted ones.  Please let
       me know if you did NOT want this done.
   o setup scouring of McIDAS-XCD created files from an 'ldm' cron
     job that runs ~ldm/decoders/mcscour.sh.  Changes in how much
     data is to be kept is done by editing that copy of mcscour.sh.

We noticed that the ssh server was not installed on weather2.  A
previous email from you noted that you wer going to install it
sometime.  Given the lack of ssh, I was forced to ssh to weather and
then telnet to weather2.

I copied the necessary RPM to /tmp:

/tmp/openssh-server-2.9p2

I tried a quick install of ssh, but I got:

error: failed dependencies:
        openssh = 2.9p2-7 is needed by openssh-server-2.9p2-7

so you will have to do the installation yourself from your CDs.

Tom