20020124: McIDAS install at NIU (cont.)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

re: sounding server doesn't work through remote ADDE server on Linux

>Sorry. :-( EVERYTHING is patched to the hilt, so the latest versions of
>everything are on there (well, from non-beta RH 7.2, anyway...)

Since the problem first cropped up in the kernel distributed with RH 6.0,
I think that the problem is a fundamental one, and not one that will be
easily fixed with a patch.  Also, I have not yet figured out how to create
a simple test routine that demonstrates the problem so that I can send
it into Linux developers. The "easiest" (meaning quickest and least
painful) path appears to be a rewrite of the sounding server itself
where I am, at least, familiar with the objective and existing code.

re: try out MCGUI

>Cool! I did that on both my machines. I noticed problems on two fronts, no
>pun intended...
>
>I could not get the ADDE configurations to work on the GUI. I would set
>them (say RTNEXRAD to adde.ucar.edu), hit 'exit and save', reload the IP
>configurations (and sometimes I didn't), but either way, the changes I
>made still won't take. When I run the administrative setting change menu
>again, all the original sites pop back up. So something isn't working
>there.

OK, I know the problem right off.  You are doing this in the 'mcidas'
account where the MCTABLE_WRITE environment variable is set so that
$MCHOME/data/ADDESITE.TXT will be updated by DATALOC commands.  Your
MCTABLE_READ environment variable is set to read $MCDATA/MCTABLE.TXT
followed by $MCHOME/data/ADDESITE.TXT.  $MCHOME/MCTABLE.TXT exists
(/home/mcidas/workdata/MCTABLE.TXT), and has DATALOCs for the fields
you want to change.  They are getting changed in ADDESITE, but the
entries in MCTABLE.TXT still are used.  Solution?  Delete the MCTABLE.TXT
file.

>Second, some data isn't coming in, like profiler and NOWRAD, so I'll have
>to add them.

That is an LDM thing.  I didn't look too hard at what you were trying
to bring in, so I didn't touch anything.  Talking about NOWRAD (tm),
as soon as you bring it in, you will need to make sure that the
$MCDATA/NIUNOWR.CFG file is setup correctly so the data can be served
by ADDE.

>That's it. The first bug is troublesome, and I know I can go in and change
>the ADDESITE.TXT file, but I don't want to, so that you can look at it.

Just delete $MCDATA/MCTALE.TXT and see how things work.

>Thanks again, Tom, for all your help. Greatly appreciated!

No worries.

Tom