20020206: pqact errors

>From: William C Klein <address@hidden>

Bill,

>We are getting 2 errors repeated over and over across the console:
>
>aeolus pqact[353]: pipe_dbufput: xcd_run HRS write error
>aeolus pqact[353]: pbuf_flush (4) write: Broken pipe

This is telling us either that xcd_run can't be found in the PATH that
is in place for the LDM invocation, or that there is an error writing to it.

I am guessing that you are running ldmfail out of a cron action to fail
over to an alternate upstream LDM feed site.  Is this true?  If so, it
is most likely that a stop and restart of the LDM will quickly fix your
problem.

>Please advise, thanks!

Here is what to check for:

1) make sure that the directory where 'xcd_run' is located is in the
   PATH for the user 'ldm'.  A typical setup is to put xcd_run and
   other decoders in the ~ldm/decoders directory, so make sure that
   this directory is in the PATH

2) if the problem occurs when ldmfail switches the site you are
   feeding from, and ldmfail was run from cron, you have two options:

   a) edit ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf and change the xcd_run lines from:

   DDPLUS|IDS   ".*"    PIPE
        xcd_run DDS
   HRS  ".*"    PIPE
        xcd_run HRS

      to:

   DDPLUS|IDS   ".*"    PIPE
        decoders/xcd_run DDS
   HRS  ".*"    PIPE
        decoders/xcd_run HRS

   b) edit ldmfail itself (a Perl script that should be located in
      ~ldm/bin) and expand the PATH definition to include the directory
      that contains xcd_run.  The line in ldmfail will look something
      like:

# Dependencies:
$ENV{ 'PATH' } =
".:/local/ldm/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/etc:/usr/ucb:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/hosts:/usr/games"
 ;

      Adjust it to look like:

# Dependencies:
$ENV{ 'PATH' } =
".:/usr/local/ldm/decoders:/usr/local/ldm/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/etc:/usr/ucb:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/hosts:/usr/games"
 ;

      (your ldmfail line may look a little different from this, but the
      concept is the same).

      Newer distributions of the LDM include the ~ldm/decoders directory
      in the PATH in ldmfail.

Please let me know if this doesn't fix your problem.

Tom Yoksas