20020404: McIDAS7.8: problem displaying RTIMAGES

>From: Carl Gibbons <address@hidden>

Carl and Mike,

>Hi!  Here's the setup:
>
>  cyclone.natnet.du.edu (130.253.215.243), Sun Ultra 10, Solaris 8 --
>     upgrade from McIDAS 7.7 to 7.8 worked with no problems.

Sounds good so far.

>  nimbus.natnet.du.edu, (130.253.215.4), Pentium III, RedHat 7.2 --
>     installed McIDAS 7.8 after nfs-mounting cyclone's /data/ldm
>     directory to /data/ldm.  Most of McIDAS seems to work here too,
>     except...

Now, why couldn't the email ended before this :-)

>On the Linux host, when I:
>  (1) launch "mcidas" or "mcidasx" from an xterm,
>  (2) type MCGUI in the lower window to activate the
>      tk stuff on the upper window,
>  (3) Select "Display>Imagery>RTIMAGES" with the mouse
>      to bring up the "RTIMAGES Image Loads" window,
>  (4a) select an image and click "Display" or "Display & Close"
>
>nothing happens.

OK, lets start here.  First, let's get the setup working to launch
MCGUI automatically:

<login as the user running into the problems above>
cd ~
rm .mcidasrc

Next, start a McIDAS-X session using the GUI startup method:

mcidas config

This should popup a GUI that allows you to specify a number of things
about your McIDAS-X session.  You will want to set:

1) Number of Image/Graphic Frames - make this at least 17
2) Numver of LINes in each frame  - if your monitor is running in high
                                    enough resolution, make this 600
3) Number of ELEments in each frame - if your monitor is running in high
                                    enough resolution, make this 800
4) Select the radiobutton to Auto start of MCGUI
5) Select the radiobutton to for ADDE compressed transfers (the YES button)
6) Select the radiobutton to Save the configuration values to the defautls
   file (the YES button)
7) Click on the START button

Your session should come up with the values you set, and these values
should be set in the defaults file, ~/.mcidasrc.  After this, running
'mcidas' will bring up a session with these same values.

Next, after the MCGUI is up and running, you need to setup/modify your
ADDE access to the various datasets supported by the MCGUI:

o either select the ADDE dataset locations action from the Configure
  dropdown, or click on the ADDE Client Routing Config button on the first
  button bar row.  This button is the one just to the right of the button
  with the Z in it

o when the ADDE Client Routing Configuration widget is up, click on the
  IMAGE tab

You should see a list of IMAGE datasets that your system can access.
What is the name of the machine to the right of the RTIMAGES label?
If it is LOCAL-DATA or the name of a DU machine, your machine or the
other DU machine will have had to have been configured to serve
the RTIMAGES dataset.  The list of ADDE server names that can be
accessed for each ADDE dataset can be seen by clicking on the button
with the down arrow to the right of each dataset server name.  This
list represents the set of community ADDE servers that you have
already been granted access to.

At this point, we may be able to determine where the problem lies:

o if the server your MCGUI session is pointing to for RTIMAGES is not a
  DU machine, then there may be some sort of name service problem

o if the server your MCGUI session is pointing to for RTIMAGES is a
  DU machine, then the ADDE server on that machine is probably
  not configured/configured correctly

If I point my McIDAS-X session to CYCLONE.NATNET.DU.EDU for RTIMAGES,
I can see current imagery:

DATALOC ADD RTIMAGES CYCLONE.NATNET.DU.EDU

IMGLIST RTIMAGES/GW-IR.ALL
Image file directory listing for:RTIMAGES/GW-IR
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
   1  G-10 IMG       5 APR 02095  10:00:00    24  137 4
   2  G-10 IMG       5 APR 02095  11:00:00    24  137 4
   3  G-10 IMG       5 APR 02095  12:00:00    24  137 4
   4  G-10 IMG       5 APR 02095  13:00:00    24  137 4
   5  G-10 IMG       5 APR 02095  14:00:00    24  137 4
   6  G-10 IMG       5 APR 02095  15:00:00    24  137 4
   7  G-10 IMG       5 APR 02095  05:00:00    24  137 4
   8  G-10 IMG       5 APR 02095  06:00:00    24  137 4
   9  G-10 IMG       5 APR 02095  07:00:00    24  137 4
  10  G-10 IMG       5 APR 02095  08:00:00    24  137 4
IMGLIST: done

You should be able to do the same.

So, what is the machine your session is pointing at?  If it is
LOCAL-DATA, and if this machine is not cyclone.natnet.du.edu, or if
this session is being run as a user that is not 'mcidas' and the
machine is cyclone.natnet.du.edu, then ADDE datasets will need to be
defined before you can access them.

>When I instead
>
>  (4b) select an image and click on the "Loop" radio button
>
>I get an "Error in Tcl script" dialog:  "Error: syntax error in
>expression "X - 1 ".

Let's clear up the initial data access problem first.  After this is
done, this other problem should disappear.

>Please help,

Please let me know the results of the ADDE dataset selection outlined
above.

>and please Cc: address@hidden with your help.  Thanx.

Done.

Tom Yoksas